Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Best beer for warm fermentation temps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 223 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default Best beer for warm fermentation temps

I live in central California and summer temps are often in the 100's. Can't afford to keep the house at 70F to ferment my beer and another refrigerator and the controller unit aren't in the budget. Any suggestions for beers that can handle fermentation at 75 - 78F ? I can keep the house at that temp without busting the utility budget.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
turvis
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts

Saisons are probably the best for that temp. Search for swamp cooler cheap and effective way to keep temps down.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddlethumper View Post
I live in central California and summer temps are often in the 100's. Can't afford to keep the house at 70F to ferment my beer and another refrigerator and the controller unit aren't in the budget. Any suggestions for beers that can handle fermentation at 75 - 78F ? I can keep the house at that temp without busting the utility budget.
You'd be surprised at how reasonably you can set up a digitally controlled fermentation chamber. A used freezer/fridge from Craigslist and a STC-1000 dual temp controller can be done for about $100.

Then you can brew whatever you like, ferment at ideal temps, and it will be tasty.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay...-build-163849/

Old 03-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turvis View Post
Saisons are probably the best for that temp. Search for swamp cooler cheap and effective way to keep temps down.
Yup, grew up with swamp coolers. No place to set one up to just cool my fermenters and not practical to change the HVAC for the house. (cheaper to get a fridge and controller).

Good suggestion about saisons. Have had no experience with those so will follow up on that. Thanks for the tip.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 85

If you have fermenters, but think there's no place to set up a swamp cooler to cool your fermenters, then you're thinking of something different. Seriously, do a search here and you may be surprised - we're talking a Rubbermaid bin just big enough for your fermenter and some ice water for chilling. Not talking about tons of space.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger View Post
If you have fermenters, but think there's no place to set up a swamp cooler to cool your fermenters, then you're thinking of something different. Seriously, do a search here and you may be surprised - we're talking a Rubbermaid bin just big enough for your fermenter and some ice water for chilling. Not talking about tons of space.
Obviously must be thinking of something different. The swamp coolers I know about are boxes 3' - 4' square with poplar or foam pads in the sides, a water reservoir and pump, and a big squirrel cage fan inside used to cool a whole house. Can't see how that would be any better or cheaper than a fridge and controller. And trying to keep cold water around my fermenters all summer would be just as much hassle.

Nighttime temps here drop into the mid to high 70's. And I may have a couple of fermenters going at a time. I know that people somewhere in the world are brewing beer year around. Therefore there must be some varieties of yeast/malts/hops that lend themselves to warmer fermentation temps.

Reason: mis-stated a point

Old 03-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddlethumper View Post
Yup, grew up with swamp coolers. No place to set one up to just cool my fermenters and not practical to change the HVAC for the house. (cheaper to get a fridge and controller).

Good suggestion about saisons. Have had no experience with those so will follow up on that. Thanks for the tip.
He's not talking about an actual swamp cooler that you'd use for cooling your house. He's talking about a big tub that you'd fill with water and put your fermenter in the water. Then you periodically add ice to keep it in a certain temp range. Never tried it myself but I know a lot of guys do and they say it works well.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
Battles4Seattle
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

He's not talking about an actual swamp cooler.

Search swamp cooler on the forum. You can use frozen 2 liters, a wet t shirt, and a fan and it should get your fermentation much lower.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

[QUOTE=microbusbrewery;4962285] Then you periodically add ice to keep it in a certain temp range. QUOTE]

I can see where that would work but trying to stay attentive to it while also working a job and other chores is a invitation to failure. It would be great if I were home all day and could monitor the temperature and ice when needed. But loading up with ice and then leaving it in a warm house all day would result in beer that was chilled in the morning and hot when I got home and all the ice was melted.

Again, I can keep the house at 75 - 78 and I really am trying to learn if there are recipes that lend themselves to those temps.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I really appreciate the comments and guys wanting to help with this. But my question was about beers that would handle warmer fermentation temps, not how to change the temperatures I'm working with. I know that there are plenty of gizmos out there to create a cool area for fermentation. I may end up having to go that route, but, for the purpose of this thread I'm looking for beer recipes, not gizmos. Thanks again for any insight you might have on the subject.

Quick Reply