Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Best beer I ever made due to 1 variable

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #21
jwalker1140
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I used to cut my tap water with 50% distilled water for $1.00 per gallon but recently switched to buying RO water from a vending machine at my grocery store for $0.25 per gallon. The only difference I can perceive is the price. YMMV.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #22
Unibrow
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I think the extra money for buying water is justified, as somebody else pointed out, beer is 98% water...would anybody want to use mediocre grains or hops or yeast? Our tap water is good, but it's not ideal, so I prefer to upgrade if I can

I'm trying to catalog every brew online so I don't have to keep notes all over the house. Check it out on my blog site below:

http://brewzak.wordpress.com/

Old 08-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #23
logdrum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Well,this makes me wonder what water I should use for my 1st partial mash kit I have lying in waiting? I'd like to get this cascade pale ale kit to come out great with this PM experiment.
You're close enough to White House, take some jugs out there & fill em up! I'll try to dig up the water report I got from them & post it.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #24
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2108 Times on 1846 Posts
Likes Given: 1556

I'd like to see that. White House is just over near Jamie's flee market.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #25
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I have a water store near my house that sells RO for .40 per gallon. Lately I have just been using RO from my own system, usually taking a gallon or two per day to fill my (2) 5 gallon bottles. By brew day I have the 10 gallons I need without having to buy any. I use BeerSmith and treat the RO water to achieve the water profile I want for the particular style I am making.

For AG I always use some CaCl in the mash and always acidify my sparge water. Don't use Chalk (CaCO3) as the Calcium source because the bicarbonate ion will make the mash too alkaline. When I need to add MgSO4, CaCO3, NaHCO3 (baking soda), I add then to the boil kettle...only CaCl or CaSO4 (gypsum) go in the mash tun...and usually a little acid too to adjust pH to 5.2-5.4

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 08-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #26
Onlooker
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unibrow View Post
But I finally isolated the 1 variable that elevated home brew from good to outstanding: using only store-bought spring/distilled water
I would respectfully amend your statement to say: Don't just assume your water is good. Understand brewing water chemistry enough to provide good water for your brew!

That may mean you can use your tap water, or buy water, or get an RO filtering setup, or whatever.

But don't just blow it off, or buy the "if your water tastes good it's good for brewing" advice. That's a recipe for possible disappointment and waste of good money and time. I made that mistake and ended up brewing way too much beer that just wasn't good due to astringency, aftertaste, etc. My water is chock full of minerals, but really isn't bad for drinking water, IMO.

So pay attention to your water first!

Old 08-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #27
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

about 10 cc's of Carrie Ann Moss's spit does the trick for me. And pure hard DC water.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #28
Unibrow
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer View Post
about 10 cc's of Carrie Ann Moss's spit does the trick for me. And pure hard DC water.
Is that a reference to Memento?

I'm trying to catalog every brew online so I don't have to keep notes all over the house. Check it out on my blog site below:

http://brewzak.wordpress.com/

Quick Reply