Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Belgian Triple?'s

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
nbigger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Belgian Triple?'s

I just purchased a Belgian Triple Brewers best kit. I was wanting to know if there is any thing I could add to this kit to make it better. I was thinking of adding some orange peel rinds to the end of the boil. I plan on doing a full boil as well. Also how long should I let this stay in the secondary and in the bottle.

Thanks for any help, Nick

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
showtime24
Recipes 

I just done this same kit, i bottled it sunday.

what i did was left it in the primary for 3 weeks then moved it to the secondary for two weeks and plan on leaving it in the bottles for a few more weeks as well. this is a pretty heavy beer and when I was bottiling it I tasted it and it tasted good (for a flat non-carbed beer) but the alcohol taste was pretty strong so in two weeks im going to pop one in the fridge for a day to test it out and then another one the next week and so on until it has conditioned long enough

Old 01-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
Retroviridae
Recipes 

Triples don't usually have spices added - you get fruityness and spicyness from the Belgian yeast. You can add if you want, it's your beer - but in my opinion, I like to keep the recipe simple to let the yeast complexity shine.

What ingredients are provided in the kit?

If it doesn't come with a real Belgian yeast strain, upgrading to that is the single best thing you can do to improve the kit. Aside from that, I like to do a mini-mash with a couple pounds of base malt along with the extract, so that the base malt enzymes can convert the extract a little more, for more fermentability/less residual sweetness. In my opinion, trying to do high-gravity beers with extract always leaves too much residual sweetness.

Since a triple is a big beer, a long primary (a few weeks), and a long secondary (a few weeks), and plenty of bottle conditioning (a few weeks at least) are good.

Random Fact: Human Immunodeficiency Virus particles have approximately the same density of 1.170 wort. I know because I float them on a sucrose gradient in the lab to purify them for research.

Primary: nada

Drinking: Belgian strong golden, Northern Brown, Porter

Old 01-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
FxdGrMind
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I added an OZ of Cascades at flame out for a little hop tickle to mine. turned out great! 8+ abv 2 and I'm done.

Found that my Orange Zest at flame out didn't do squat to my other beer. So added again in 2ndary. Time will tell.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
nbigger
Recipes 

Sounds good I was thinking about leaving this age in the bottle for awhile also let me know what you find. I am thinking of adding some orange peel to give it some flavor but I wonder if it will make it worse. I have not opened the kit but I am guessing it is a dry yeast correct?

Old 01-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
nbigger
Recipes 

Sorry did not see the other posts when I wrote this. Thanks for the input I was thinking of picking up some better yeast.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Tripels dont traditionally have spices like orange peel but if you think it sounds good, go for it! I'm sure it'll turn out great as long as you dont go nuts and add the zest from 10 oranges or something.

I have never seen a belgian-style dry yeast so I hope they gave you liquid. If that is the case, open up the kit and get that baby in the fridge!

As for aging, you may want to give it at least 2 months in the bottle to mellow out. It seems for Belgians that the best bottle from your batch is the last one since it aged more than the rest. It's hard to not bust them out after 2 weeks but it will be worth it if you wait.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
showtime24
Recipes 

this kit does come with a dry yeast, now i dont know if its a belgian style yeast or not to tell you the truth. but like the other guys were saying belgian tripelsare fine right by themselves with nothing added. this is the first belgian tripel I have brewed so im just going bye the other peoples i have tried

Old 01-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 39

If it is a dry yeast, I'd hit up your LHBS and buy something else.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
nbigger
Recipes 

Ok went to the LHBS at launch and picked up some 530 yeast. I should have picked up some DME for a starter but I purchased 2 viles so I should be ok with out doing a starter right?

Quick Reply