Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Belgian tripel question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2011, 01:51 AM   #11
norsk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I have a Triple on its 9th week in primary right now. Gonna bottle on Tue. I always repitch for my Triples regardless of how long I let them sit. Good luck.

veteransforpeace.org

VALHALLA BREWERY

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 02:24 AM   #12
TwoGunz
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarnigle

Not after a month. I think re-pitching for priming becomes an issue after 2-3 months or something like that.
Nope, you're still probably good unless the yeast was really stressed perhaps. I've done several 2-3 month primaries without issue.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:43 AM   #13
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigidyjim View Post

But a primary with a crappy seal? Haven't heard that discussed much. The bad seal thing could, theoretically, lead to oxidation. My guess is that it's probably (a) not a huge deal unless it's REALLY bad, and (b), if your kit came with a primary with a crappy seal, it probably came with a bunch of other crappy stuff too, and it's not going to matter if you move to secondary. And even then, plenty of breweries used open top-fermentation throughout history... Those are just guesses, I'd be interested to hear more.
Well not to toss to much science into here... The principle of diffusion would operate here. In short if you have 2 liquids (or gases) that are touching and can mix (like whiskey and water) they over time they will mix even without stirring. If they cant (like oil and water) they won't. This occurs naturally, and can't be stopped. How long will very on a lot of things like the seal and the surface area, temp changes, etc. If you left the lid off your bucket, CO2 blanket or not, I'd expect O2 poisoning on the brew.

I'm not saying this argues for a 2ndary, or even that it will come into play in a given brewery for air diffusions. Liquid diffusion helps out the partial boil people (like me) even if we don't get a good mix of wort and top off water, a week in a fermentor will still mix it up and solve that problem.(aeration is another problem entirely)

Old 08-08-2011, 02:17 AM   #14
spazasm
Recipes 

Ok, it's been 6 weeks, I went to the Lhbs and got some bottles plus some advice from the owner. He recommends I put some dry yeast in a few days before bottling. I went ahead and did this friday? and want to bottle tonight. The beer has fermented out already but will I have any problems with having too much yeast in the bottles (ie bombs or no carb at all)?

Old 08-08-2011, 03:39 AM   #15
ilikethetrees
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dude, I left a brown ale with ginger in the primary for something like 7 months in a totally uncontrolled temperature environment, bottled it without adding yeast, and it carbonated just fine. Tasted pretty OK to my surprise, too. Not disagreeing with your plans for the tripel, just saying that leaving beer on its yeast cake in the primary isn't a cardinal sin, and is often quite beneficial in moderation.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #16
zachary80
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazasm View Post
Ok, it's been 6 weeks, I went to the Lhbs and got some bottles plus some advice from the owner. He recommends I put some dry yeast in a few days before bottling. I went ahead and did this friday? and want to bottle tonight. The beer has fermented out already but will I have any problems with having too much yeast in the bottles (ie bombs or no carb at all)?
As long as you used another beer yeast you should be fine. Just the presence of yeast won't cause bottle bombs unless they have more food than required to carbonate
Next Batches: Wheat Stout, Quick n Dirty Berliner Weiss, Antithesis Saison du Vin, Split Open and Melt Imperial Stout

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS