Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Belgian Saison ( Brewers Best Extract Kit )

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
paulbert07
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Default Belgian Saison ( Brewers Best Extract Kit )

reading down through the steps to brewing this Saison extract kit it is saying to only use 1 gal of water to 2 lbs of grains, well this kit only has 2 lbs of grains. The water will not cover the grain bag at the bottom of the Kettle.
My question is , Is it critical to only use the 1 gal of water for this or can I use enough water to cover the specialty grains?
specialty grains used in kit 1 lb Vienna , 12oz Flaked Wheat, 4 ozs Caramel 30L, spice pack
Thank you for your help

Primary 1: Empty, Primary 2: Empty
Secondary 1: Winter Solstice
Kegged 1 Sweet Potato Spiced ale,Kegged 2 Kolsch , Kegged 3 Southern Pecan nut brown ale, Kegged 4 British IPA, on-deck 1 mango Triple IPA,on-deck 2 Chocoppy Honey Porter, on-deck 3 Clarks Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
BlackRock
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You should be fine using a bit more water. I usually use 2 quarts of water per pound of grain so for two pounds of grain I'd use 4 quarts (1 gallon) and then rinse with another gallon of water. Looks like your recipe is spot on to those same ratio's so I'm not sure why it won't cover the grain? How big is your brew kettle? I've also read a number of people simply steeping say 2lbs of grain in 2 gallons of water in the brew kettle and then not rinsing.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
paulbert07
Recipes 

my kettle is 12.5 gal , I'm gonna give it a shot this Sat morning. Thank you for your help
I'll keep you posted

Kegged 1 Sweet Potato Spiced ale,Kegged 2 Kolsch , Kegged 3 Southern Pecan nut brown ale, Kegged 4 British IPA, on-deck 1 mango Triple IPA,on-deck 2 Chocoppy Honey Porter, on-deck 3 Clarks Pale Ale

Old 02-14-2013, 01:44 AM   #4
ivydog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I just brewed the same kit on Sunday. The water barely covered the grains and made it really difficult maintaining a steeping temp. I used a spatula to distribute the grain bag as evenly as I could to get it under the water.
i did rinse the grains with a gallon of water, so hoping it works out.

One note - the kit instructions neglect to mention when to add the spice pack. The online pdf has it listed in the hopping schedule.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
paulbert07
Recipes 

Good to know thank you
What was your OG?

Old 02-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
paulbert07
Recipes 

looking at the PDF online for the saison, I'm thinking the spice pack would go into the muslin bag with the specialty grains, But I could be reading it wrong. I will give it a shot Saturday.
Thanks again for the info.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
ivydog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1...n%20Recipe.pdf
It has completely different hops than the kit i bought... But it has the spices added in hopping with the candi syrup and dme.

OG was 1.048

Old 02-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
sublevel007
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I brewed that as my first batch and had the same issue, rinsed with 1 gallon but ended up with a low OG from what it called for but not much. It's in the bottles now we'll see how it goes in about a month

Old 02-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I bought a 2 gallon beverage cooler to steep my grains in. Keeps the temps spot on and frees up my kettle to start more water boiling. for $9 it was well worth it.

Brew On!

Old 02-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
amie
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Hmmm... I bought this kit for my husband and we're planning on brewing it on Monday; it will be our first time homebrewing. Any tips or suggestions? Did you do the secondary fermentation process that Brewers Best recommends, or just stick to primary for 3-4 weeks instead?

I'm going over the process in my head, and here's what I've been thinking of doing for the steep/partial mash process:

1) Use a kitchen pot to bring recommended quantity of water up to temperature, and have another small amount of water heated and ready to add if the mash temperature falls too much when we add the grains.

2) Transfer the heated water into a beverage cooler or some other vessel that I can insulate to regulate the temperature, add grain bag and steep.

3) Heat water for rinsing/sparging(?)

4) Remove grain bag from the mini mash tun, transfer wort to my brew kettle (5 gal stainless steel pot), replace grain bag in mash tun, pour rinsing water over grain bag and let sit for a few minutes.

5) Remove grain bag and transfer sparge(?) water to brew kettle.

6) Top off brew kettle with as much water as I dare, since I can't do a full boil in that size of a pot, and begin boil schedule.

7) Cool, transfer to primary fermentation bucket, top off with water to make 5 gallons or recommended OG.

Does that sound vaguely correct? Like I said, we're complete brewing noobs, so I'm not clear on all the terminology yet... hence all the (?) parentheses.

Quick Reply