New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Belgian Pale ale looks horrible

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 03:49 AM   #1
justin22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Belgian Pale ale looks horrible

Brewed a belgian pale ale. Its been in the primary for about 1 1/2 weeks. Opened it up because im a noob. It does not look to good. In fact it looks like ****. Is this going to change?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2009, 04:00 AM   #2
geopet
Recipes 

For all intents and purposes fermentation is an aberration of nature to observe.

Don't sweat what you just saw. Take it out of your mind entirely. Close that lid and don't consider opening it again for another 1.5-2.5 weeks. Then, and only then, do you open it to take a specific gravity sample. Two days after that, take another. Two days after that, take another. If after those six days you have the same reading you may then bottle.

Geoff

Last edited by geopet; 06-24-2009 at 05:36 AM. Reason: maybe joking on the internet *can* go wrong.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:01 AM   #3
ezboarderz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22 View Post
Brewed a belgian pale ale. Its been in the primary for about 1 1/2 weeks. Opened it up because im a noob. It does not look to good. In fact it looks like ****. Is this going to change?
Well man, I would leave it in there for 4 weeks total, cold crash (if you can) then keg/bottle. Beer really doesnt look like beer till its carbed up and your drinking it. I just racked 2 beers to kegs today and one had all sorts of krausen **** on top of it that was from me moving to my counter to rack (settled after 45 minutes of letting it sit). Just give it time and have a brew mang. It should be all good.

Primary 1 - Death Metal Dunkelweizen
Primary 2 - Stormlord Schwartzweizen
Primary 3 - empty
Primary 4 - empty

Kegged - nothing at the moment, i will be changing that.

Up Next - Behemoth Brown Ale, Forest of Oktoberfest.

Beer tastes better when listening to metal

Listen to Satan Divine

Old 06-24-2009, 04:13 AM   #4
brian_g
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, it's perfectly normal. It wont look pretty or taste pretty at this point. I think it's good learning experience to taste the beer at different stages. It wont hurt you, but it will taste pretty bad.

Quick Reply