Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Belgian Honey Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #71
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What do you mean specifically by "very harsh?" Is it a mouth puckering, tannin kind of quality? A cooked vegetable taste? Sulfur-like? Metallic?

Likely it just needs to sit for another couple weeks to a month. I've made plenty of brews where it tasted like manure right out of conditioning (such as a ginger beer that was so bad I almost threw it out) but, given an extended aging time, turned out fantastic (the ginger beer became everyone's favorite). The hardest part for most brewers, as I've said before, is learning patience and giving the beer time to mature.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #72
BakerBeer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 15

Sorry it took me so long to reply, finials are this week! Lol

Umm... To be honest with you i don't know how to describe it. I asked my wife to give me her opinion and she could not either. What is tannin? It don't smell bad, the color is becoming more clear, and its developing a bite to the after taste. I don't taste a metallic flavoring. To be honest with you I think this is where I need to develop my taste buds. It's just upsetting that this beer has a kick butt flavor the first week or two then develops into this. Hell, I drank 10-12 of my beers in just the first 2 weeks, that how good it was.

I will put 6 aside and label then with what they are and see how they react to aging.

Now... I absolutely have no intentions on giving up. I am going try a Baltic porter this go around...

I will put together a recipe and maybe you can help adjust it. Next week I think the temp out side is going to be in the upper 40s so my garage might be a good place for it. Using the box idea you had I hope I can make it work.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #73
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

If you've ever had a really dry red wine, that mouth puckering, "dry" sensation in your cheeks and tongue that you experience is from tannin. I doubt it is tannin, however, because you would have experienced it all along.

There are several things that can cause off flavors, but as I said, beers mature and develop as they age and hence the flavors change. If it is a hot, alcohol flavor it may be that the yeast is finally starting to eat the honey after getting through the simpler sugars and causing a "heat" to the after taste.

I would just let it sit and try one every week until it evens out. This may actually be a good thing because you can see for yourself how the process works with maturation.

I'd be happy to check out your recipe when it's done.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:00 AM   #74
BakerBeer
Recipes 

OK well i was starting to build my own then i stumbled across a recipe online that sounds so good!

I think it might be a little over my head and the recipe says its an 8gallon batch at 75% efficient

I would like to add some coffee to this list of ingredients also...

What you think? think this is over my head or you think i can pull it off? its going to be an expensive list of ingredients so if i get this i only have one shot at it... LOL

screen-shot-2013-03-04-9.51.53-pm.png  

Old 03-05-2013, 04:20 AM   #75
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Honestly, for what I believe you are intending to make, that recipe seems a bit inappropriate for a coffee porter. And at 14% smoked malt (which would be fine for something like a Rauchbier) it would seem to me to be a bit overwhelming (put some Liquid Smoke in your coffee tomorrow if you don't believe me ). It's a very good base, though, and I would modify it in this way:

Baltic Coffee Porter

Size: 5 gallons
Est-Eff: 72%
PreBoil-Vol: 6.25 gal
PreBoil-Grav: 1.063
Boil Time: 60 minutes
SRM: 28
IBU: 33
OG: 1.077
FG: 1.020
ABV: 7.5%

Grains

5.5 lbs -- 2-Row Brewer's Malt (Briess)
1 lb -- Crystal 40L (Biess)
1 lb -- Munich 20L (Briess)
0.75 lb -- Barley, Flaked (Briess)
0.75 lb -- Barley, Roasted (Briess)
0.50 lb -- Carapils (Briess)
0.25 lb -- Chocolate Malt (Briess)

Mash Schedule (Full Body, Single Infusion)
Mash-In: 13.75 qts water (1.3 water:grain ratio) @ 172F (156F ST) for 60 minutes
Mash-Out: 5 qts water @ 207F (168F ST) for 10 minutes
Fly-Sparge: 3 gallons water @ 168F over 45 minutes

Other Fermentables
3 lbs -- Briess Golden Light DME @ 10 minutes left in boil
1 lb -- Clear Simplicity Candi Syrup @ Flame Out

Hop Schedule
0.50 oz -- Magnum (14% AA) @ 60 minutes
0.50 oz -- Hallertauer (4.8% AA) @ 30 minutes
0.50 oz -- Magnum (14% AA) @ 5 minutes
0.50 oz -- Hallertauer (4.8% AA) @ 5 minutes

Other Additions
1 tsp -- Irish Moss @ 30 minutes

Yeast
2 pkgs -- Wyeast Scottish Ale (1728) (2L simple starter or 1L Starter w/ stir plate)

Fermentation Schedule
Primary: 7 days @ 55-60F
Secondary: 21 days @ 55-60F
Bottle with 4oz Priming Sugar (Dextrose); 2.45 vol for 30 days

The few reasons I went with the Scottish Ale yeast for this is that lagers are finicky creatures. Any lager yeast you went with would require strict temperature controls, a massive starter (about 2 gallons without a stir plate), a diacetyl rest (we can talk more about that later) and a much longer time to ferment than I think your garage method of temp control would permit (well into mid to late spring). The Scottish Ale yeast permits cold temperature fermentations (as low as 55F) while still giving a clean, lager like profile without all the hassle and time of a lager yeast.

As far as the coffee flavor addition I would simply use the cold steep method and if you want to add some complexity to it, add about 2 tbsp of Cafe du Monde Chicory Coffee to some ground Starbucks Italian Roast. You don't need a French Press either if you don't have one; just mix the ground coffee with cold water in a sealed mason jar, shake, refrigerate overnight and run it through a paper filter or gold permanent filter before you bottle.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #76
BakerBeer
Recipes 

That sounds like a decent recipe too!

I was trying to use my beer smith to put together a recipe but I guess I am still on noob level. Lol, Beer smith offers so much it's a little overwhelming.

I think I am going to try your recipe! Sounds just as good as the other I posted.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #77
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah, I've been using BeerSmith for a while and I'm still finding new stuff in it. There's a guy on YouTube that has posted some great tutorials here. They're the ones from about a year ago; just run down the list.

I figured mine was simple enough to do easily while still making a Baltic coffee porter like you wanted. I would certainly look at all the ingredients, though, and customize it to your personal tastes. Once you get it into BeerSmith it will be a lot easier to tweak.

That recipe is pretty much middle of the road which is where I tend to stay, at least while I'm learning. Sometimes I'll make something a little more off the beaten path; like the 15% ABV Ginger Barley Wine I'm planning for my girlfriend's best friend.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #78
Graypayp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, I know you're technically looking for an all-grain recipe, and you're technically looking to make a wheat beer... but since it looks like you've basically got a spiced "holiday" ale on your mind, I'll at least share with you a recipe of mine that has probably been the biggest hit of everything I've made.

I'm kind of sheepish about having to admit that it involved a canned beer kit, and thus wasn't entirely my own original creation... but oh, well. So do some of Charlie P.'s best recipes:

North Drive "Honey Brown" Ale

4 lb. can Mountmellick Brown Ale liquid malt extract (hopped)
3 lb. Briess CBW Traditional Dark dried malt extract
¾ lb. honey
1 medium-sized oranges (for zest only)
4 whole cloves
4 whole cinnamon sticks
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
4 tsp. gypsum
0.50 oz. UK Kent Golding hop pellets (finishing; final 20 minutes)
0.50 oz. UK Kent Golding hop pellets (aroma; final 2 minutes)
15 grams dry ale yeast (2 packets)

1. Clean two pots. Simmer all spices in 1 quart water for 45 minutes while also boiling the malt extracts, honey and gypsum in 1-1/2 gallons of water for 60 minutes.

2. Once the timer reaches 20 minutes, add the finishing hops in a bag.

3. After the 45 minutes are finished (i.e. the timer reaches 15 minutes), remove the whole spices from the spice water, then add the water to the large stock pot containing the malt extracts, honey, gypsum and finishing hops.

4. Once the timer reaches 5 minutes, remove and untie the hop bag, and add the orange zest to the bag. Retie the bag, and boil together for the next 3 minutes.

5. Once the timer reaches 2 minutes, remove and untie the hop bag again, and add the aroma hops to the bag. Retie the bag, and boil together for the final 2 minutes.

You know what to do from there - chill the wort, and take 'er away! Like I said, I can promise you that this one was one of my most popular beers I've made to date, and it was very winter/holiday appropriate.

Looking for a reusable, affordable and convenient way to organize and label your home brews?

Check out... North Drive Brewing Labels

Old 03-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #79
BakerBeer
Recipes 

That's a very interesting recipe Gray. I will keep that on the side, I may very well try that one.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #80
BakerBeer
Recipes 

Quick question, i am thinking of maybe putting some beer in a keg to see if there is a difference in taste. I found these on line...

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/mini-keg.html

What do you think? good keg? i am looking for some inexpensive, but will do the job.

i would say up to 4.5g nothing bigger

Quick Reply