Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Belgian Honey Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #61
BakerBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 15

Well my three week bottling time is quickly approaching!

I have taken some bottle out and tested them over the past few weeks to experiment with how the beer is developing over this time.

Week 1 - beer had a great flavor! Carb was decent but not ready, the head was not as thick as I thought it would be. The color was amazing and could not taste any harsh bitterness or bad after taste

Week 2 - again beer had great color, however I am sensing a slight change in the flavor and a after taste is starting to develop. The carbonation looks to be complete but we will see what the following week brings.

Week 3 - update around march 1

On a side note... I was on travel this week for work and it lead me to a small town in Rhode Island named providence. Apparently providence is known for its micro brewers around the area. Though not a local brewery, Harpoon seems to be a big name up in to area. Harpoon has a limited edition coffee porter that's absolutely to die for. Smooth, semi thick, and had a nice medium body with a nice balance of coffee , vanilla, and toffee. What I think made this beer so good was it wasn't over powering with the coffee. I was heart broken when I googled this beer and found it was only a 100 barrel limited edition. So I have set a new goal...I want to duplicate this beer and I have no clue where to start. what makes a porter? Is it the ingredients? Is it the yeast? Are their special fermentation requirements? I could go on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 12:24 AM   #62
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 5

There are a ton of coffee porter recipes on here and around the web, but a good place to start would be the BJCP guidelines for porters here. I would imagine, since you said it was a bit heavy, that you should base the recipe on either a Baltic or Robust porter rather than a brown.

When formulating your recipe, you may want to keep to a simple, straightforward grain bill for porters and adjust from there. Chocolate malt will add color and some coffee taste, but you don't want to use too much or you'll be entering stout territory. Since you said it had a "semi-thick" mouthfeel, you may want to mash high (156F mash in temp) so you have a higher final gravity which will give that thicker sensation. You may also want to add about 5% Briess Carapils malt in your grain bill as it will help to create a silkier head. As far as hops, I would use the subtler English hops like EKG and Fuggles so the coffee flavor isn't masked by the stronger American varietals. For yeast I would use Wyeast London Ale (1028), Irish Ale (1084) or Scottish Ale (1728; my personal favorite) or any of White Labs' British, Irish or English Ale yeasts.

There are a few different methods for adding the coffee flavor, but they all involve introducing it during either secondary fermentation or at bottling. One popular method is to "cold steep" coffee in a French press overnight, push the plunger down to separate the grounds and add it at bottling. Another is to crack whole beans, put them in a hop sack and let them dry hop 7-14 days in secondary before bottling. Generally you don't want to boil grounds or beans or add them during primary as they'll leave some harshness behind.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:53 AM   #63
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Here's an easy Coffee Porter recipe I just came up with:

Style: Robust Porter (12B)
Boil: 60 minutes
Size: 5 gallons
Pre-Boil Vol: 6.25 gal
Pre-Boil Grv: 1.054
OG: 1.061
FG: 1.017
IBU: 35
SRM: 30
ABV: 5.7%

Grains (Single Infusion, Full Body)

8 lbs -- Maris Otter Pale Malt (Munton's) 69.6%
2 lbs -- Crystal 40L (Briess) 17.4%
8 oz -- Chocolate Malt (Briess) 4.3%
8 oz -- Roasted Barley (Briess) 4.3%
8 oz -- Carapils (Briess) 4.3%

Mash-In: 15.5 qts water @ 169F (154F Step Temp) for 45 minutes
Mash-Out: 7.6 qts water @ 202F (168F Step Temp) for 10 minutes
Fly-Sparge with 2.1 gallons water @ 168F over 45 minutes

Hops
1 oz -- East Kent Goldings (5% AA) @ 60 min
1 oz -- East Kent Goldings (5% AA) @ 30 min
1 oz -- Fuggles (4.5% AA) @ 10 min

Yeast (Chill wort to 70F and pitch starter)
1 pkg -- Wyeast Scottish Ale (1728) (2.75 L Starter w/o Stir Plate; 1L Starter w/ Stir Plate)

Fermentation Schedule
7 days Primary @ 65F
14-21 days Secondary @ 65F
Prime with 3.5oz Dextrose (2.25 vol)

Flavoring
Method 1: Make 24oz of cold steeped coffee in French press by steeping coffee grounds in cold water and refrigerate overnight. Filter out grounds by pressing plunger and strain coffee through paper filter. Add at bottling.

Method 2: Coarsely grind or crack in a zip-lock bag with a rolling pin 1/2 cup of whole coffee beans. Securely tie in a fine mesh muslin bag and dry hop in Secondary for 7 days before bottling.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:35 AM   #64
BakerBeer
Recipes 

WOW! how did you do that? i got the brew smith software... did you use that? i need to review and noodle over your ideas. Your should be a master brewer!

Old 02-22-2013, 04:35 AM   #65
BakerBeer
Recipes 

I think a Baltic Porter is going to be right on point!

I am just thinking out loud..

I think a chocolate, carmel or Toffee, and coffee flavor with hint of roast. I want to to start off sweet and but not lack in a coffee flavor.

more to come...

Old 02-22-2013, 04:42 AM   #66
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah, I use BeerSmith which makes it pretty easy to put stuff together. It takes a while to learn but once you do putting together recipes is pretty quick. Most of the BJCP guidelines also include an "accepted" ingredients section which help determine base and specialty malts of a particular style.

Like I said, I just rattled that one off pretty quick so it may be worth seeing if someone has come up with a clone of the beer you're looking to replicate and compare it to this one. I usually try to adhere to the Keep-It-Simple-Stupid philosophy, so less is better, especially while learning.

Your numbers may vary a bit from mine since my equipment is different from yours (you'll need to make an equipment profile in BeerSmith for your particular gear), but it will be close enough to not matter.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:55 AM   #67
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerBeer View Post
I think a Baltic Porter is going to be right on point!

I am just thinking out loud..

I think a chocolate, carmel or Toffee, and coffee flavor with hint of roast. I want to to start off sweet and but not lack in a coffee flavor.

more to come...
Baltics usually use either a lager yeast or cold fermenting ale yeast, so there will be some temperature control issues to deal with. The Robust style will simplify things, but if you can keep stable cold temperatures for 5-7 weeks I'd say go for it.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #68
BakerBeer
Recipes 

Interesting

I have been googling a Baltic porter and doing some research on the brewing how to's

I think a stupid simple recipe is a good idea for my first one attempt. I am thinking of a small batch incase i need to toss it.

It's cooler outside, is using a garage good for keeping a lower temp for fermenting? I would say my garage is above freezing. Or maybe under my stairs where my hot water heater is.. That's pretty cool area too...

What is your method of temp control?

Old 02-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #69
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I built a fermentation chamber out of a 1.8cf dorm fridge I built a collar for using an "eBay Temp Controller" as seen here. It holds both my 3 and 5.5 gal carboys at the same time, but is too short for my glass 6.5 gal one. I have a larger fridge I'll be turning into another fermentation chamber one of these days with larger capacity, though.

For temp control of a lager in your garage, it will work well, but you will need to control temp shifts by placing the fementer in a large, covered styrofoam cooler with some frozen 2L soda bottles in the cooler with the fermenter. You will need to change out the bottles every couple of days, but that should keep the fluctuations to only a few degrees in either direction. As always, stable temps make for happy yeast.

I would strongly suggest setting it up before you brew (i.e. without the fermenter in the cooler), put a thermometer in there over night and check the temp in the morning, when you get home from work and before you go to bed. Record the readings over a couple of days and be sure that the ambient temp in the cooler is going to be in the range your yeast is happy with as well as whether or not there are large fluctuations in the ambient temperature. Lager yeasts generally prefer mid 40s to mid 50s, but the strain you choose may vary. Many people use this method and have great success with it, so it isn't as "MacGuyver-esque" as it sounds.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:43 AM   #70
BakerBeer
Recipes 

So today was my last day for my bottle conditioning...

I opened up a chilled beer and poured it in my favorite frozen mug... I have to say I am displeased with how much this beer has changed over the last 3 weeks. The first week of this beers life after bottling was amazing. Great flavor, no harsh after taste, cloudy like a true wheat beer, and smelled great!

Now the beer still has a decent smell, however the color has definitely cleared up a tad, the taste is nothing like it was the first week or two, and the after taste is amazingly long lasting and very harsh. I am quite upset how it turned out. I thought I nailed this recipe right on the head.

What could have happened?

Quick Reply