The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Belgian Honey Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
BakerBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 15

Default Belgian Honey Wheat

Good Afternoon, I am looking to put together a recipe for a nice christmas belgian honey wheat beer.

I am newer to the beer making process but i want to try to do a all grain batch. i have a 6 gallon carboy so i guess my max batch size is around 5 gallons.

What must i have to start this recipe?

Michael

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerBeer View Post
Good Afternoon, I am looking to put together a recipe for a nice christmas belgian honey wheat beer.

I am newer to the beer making process but i want to try to do a all grain batch. i have a 6 gallon carboy so i guess my max batch size is around 5 gallons.

What must i have to start this recipe?

Michael
Assuming you have all the equipment you need, such as a 5 gallon mash-tun, 8-10 gallon boil kettle and (optionally) a hot liquor tank and method to fly-sparge, you should be able to do this recipe easily.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "Christmas" honey wheat ale, but with this base recipe you could add holiday spices. Maybe 1 cinnamon stick, 1/4 tsp nutmeg and 1 oz of fresh, peeled ginger, all added at flame-out and steeped 10-20 minutes before cooling the wort. I wouldn't add more than that or they'll mask the more delicate flavors in the wheat beer.

Here's my take on it:

Style-------Weissebier/Weizen; Honey
Type-------All-Grain; 5 gallons; 72% efficiency
Water------7.75 gallons
Pre-Boil Gravity---1.037
OG---------1.049
FG---------1.010
SRM--------7.3
IBUs--------11.8
ABV---------5%

Grain Bill

4# Pale Malt, 2-row, Belgian; 44.4%
2# Wheat Malt, Belgian; 22.2%
1# Crystal 20L; 11.1%
0.5# Carapils; 5.6%
0.25# Aromatic Malt; 2.8%
0.25# Caramunich Malt; 2.8%

Mash Method: Single Infusion, Full Body

Mash-In: 10qt water @ 168F (156F ST); 45 minutes
Mash-Out: 5.2qt @ 195F (168F ST); 10 minutes
Fly-Sparge: 3.9 gallons @ 168F over 45 minutes

Sugars/Adjuncts/Fining

1 tsp Irish Moss; 30 minutes
4oz Malto-Dextrin; 10 minutes
1# Honey; Add at flame-out

Hops

.25 oz Strisslespalt (4% AA); 60 min
.25 oz Strisslespalt (4% AA); 45 min
.25 oz Strisslespalt (4% AA); 30 min
.25 oz Strisslespalt (4% AA); 15 min

Yeast

Wyeast Belgian Wheat (3942); 1.25L Starter w/ Stir-Plate (1.75L w/out)

Fermentation/Conditioning

Primary 21 days @ 69F; Bottle w/ 4.25oz Priming Sugar (2.5 vol); Age 30 days

Old 11-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
BakerBeer
Recipes 

Nice!

I would like to take a few and go over what i have available...

I have the following
24Qt stainless steel pot with false bottom and rack
6.5 gallon carboy with bum plug and 3 peice airlock
temp gauge
long stainless steel stir

I can easily pick up a 10g bucket from lowes or home depot for mashin (unless their not good enough)

anything else you suggest?

Old 11-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

If you want to get a bucket for transfers then you should get an NSF one rated for use with food. The ones at Lowes and Home Depot aren't meant for storing hot food like wort as they can leach harmful chemicals and off flavors into the beer.

If you have a 6 gallon mash pot you plan on using for the boil as well, then you'll need to scale the recipe back to 3 gallons as you'll have a 6.75 gallon boil volume. If you have an 8-10 gallon boil kettle you can use in addition to the mash pot then you should be fine.

Without a hot liquor tank and sparge arm or at least a colander, then you'll need to do batch sparging which you can find out how to do on several threads here and in John Palmer's online bookHow to Brew. On this recipe you'll mash-in with 10qt water @ 168F (156F ST) and do three batch sparges of 0.75gal, 2.25gal and 2.25gal water @ 168F each.

Other than that you should be able to do this recipe, though you may want to run all this by the guys at your LHBS for any additional thoughts they may have.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 11-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
BakerBeer
Recipes 

Thank you! i think i will buy a either a 36+Qt mash pot and use it for the boil. I will give the sarge a look online and maybe some you tube videos

Old 11-19-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
BakerBeer
Recipes 

Got me a 42Qt Mash ton from my local brew shop... I think i am going to attempt this week. Got some great pointers from my local brew shop in Winchester VA.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 AM   #7
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

That's great! My local home brew shop guys are always really generous about answering questions and they've taught me quite a bit. It sounds like you're dealing with a great group of people too. Have fun making your first AG batch and remember slow and steady wins the race (i.e. Fast beer tastes like fast food).

Old 11-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
BakerBeer
Recipes 

my recipe is made for a 5gallon batch of beer. I had made 5 gallons of mash... didnt hit my temp exactly right.. came in around 148... my mash ton must be crap even with blankets around it.

i am boiling right now but i see i am loosing volume. do i add water?

Old 11-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Boiling off some of the volume is part of AG brews. Your pre-boil gravity will always be lower than what your original gravity is supposed to be due to sparging. Generally, on 5 gallon brews, your pre-boil volume will be anywhere from 6-8 gallons depending on how long you boil and the sparging method you use. You will also lose a bit while cooling the wort. You want to boil down to 5 gallons and add extra, sanitized water if it is below your 5 gallon mark once you reach pitching temp, but usually this will only be 1-2 quarts at most.

It kind of works the opposite to extract brewing where you'll do a 2-3 gallon boil and top off afterwards.

As far as the mash temp is concerned, if you're using a brew kettle mash tun you can always bottom heat it, stir and turn the flame down very low until it just maintains the temperature you're looking for. 148F will give you a lighter body, highly fermentable wort, but it's close enough you shouldn't have an issue as far as fermentation is concerned. It will just be slightly higher in ABV and a bit dryer than what you previously intended.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
BakerBeer
Recipes 

Its all good, it was my first all grain batch and if nothing i have learned so much this afternoon. I will have tons of questions. I kept a little book of questions i will post soon. I found that my mash ton is junk today. So i need to work on building a better one or maybe move to a kettle mash. maybe use a brew in the bag method.

I started at 164 degrees and my temp dropped to around 145-148...

thanks for the help guys! i will keep at this and before i know it i will be brewing grade A beer.

Quick Reply