Belgian Golden Strong Ale 8.5 % two-stage fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistyboy

Reaction score
hi guys!

im brewing a Belgian Golden Strong Ale 8.5 %, i heard that is better to rack it a carboy after primary for a beer that is strong in alcool,waht do you think?

I can't see how higher ABV would make a beer "better" for secondary.

If you normally secondary your beers, than feel free to secondary this one. I think the majority of homebrewers only secondary for things like fruit additions and possibly to dry hop. You certainly don't need to do a secondary for any beer.

Some people will rack to secondary to help with clarity, but it really isn't necessary.

In this case, and in my opinion/interpretation, "high ABV" would mean a level that is pushing the tolerance for the yeast strain you are using. Both the WLP and WY golden strong yeasts list tolerance at 12-13% ABV so at 8.5 the yeast should be fine, assuming you use the proper amount of healthy yeast at the beginning of fermentation. In other words, use a starter or pitch multiple packs/tubes.

The thinking behind advising secondary for strong beers (such as a 12% barley wine with Cal ale yeast) is that you will have pitched a buttload of yeast and most of it will be pretty much done after fermentation, and you may get some die-off of cells and possible autolysis, leading to off-flavors. Plus, beers like that would benefit from some aging, so getting it off the yeast cake could be of help.

But this does not mean transfer before primary fermentation is DONE, meaning it's reached FG and given a bit of time to clean up.

But for a golden strong, all primary will be fine. Go forth. :mug:

Back