Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Belgian Golden with FG of 1.000

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013, 05:21 AM   #1
patjofo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Belgian Golden with FG of 1.000

I brewed a Belgian Golden Ale from a Brewers Best extract kit. It sat in a primary for 7 weeks. Bottled it and measured a FG of 1.000, even with temp correction. Tasted great. Is a FG of 1.000 possible?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 05:32 AM   #2
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Yes.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 342 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Would be exceptionally dry. Unlikely it actually has no residual sugar, yeasts don't typically attenuate 100%. More likely not perfect measurement equipment.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Old 04-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by patjofo View Post
I brewed a Belgian Golden Ale from a Brewers Best extract kit. It sat in a primary for 7 weeks. Bottled it and measured a FG of 1.000, even with temp correction. Tasted great. Is a FG of 1.000 possible?
Alcohol is lighter than water so if the ABV is high enough it is, technically, possible to get a reading of 1.000 and still have some residual sugar in the beer.

Aren't BSGAs supposed to finish really low anyway,
like somewhere around 1.004 to 1.006?

Very often you can't see the important things on the outside........................................... .
.............Like takoyaki.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
Ryush806
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by patjofo
Yup it's possible. But if it tastes great who cares?

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
scottab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I am about to bottle the same beer, brewers best belgian golden ale. I topped off with slightly too much water and my sg was slightly low but when i did my final readings last week i found it was 1.004 thought i was reading wrong but since i read the sample 3 times and all the same i went with it. I then dumped gelatin into my fermenter and it's been sitting for a week and looks super clear. Can't wait till it primes to taste.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:06 AM   #7
ASM
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I just did the Brewer's Best Belgian IPA and had similar results. SG was 1.050 and FG after 1 week in primary was 1.004. Airlock activity was strong and steady for about 5 days and the last two slowed down very much but I still saw a few bubbles. Tasted it and it does have a very dry, alcohol taste, but I did not detect any other off flavors. I know I accidentally put in too much yeast nutrient (about 2x). Otherwise, no deviations. Not a hydrometer problem. I racked to secondary, dry hopped and I'm hoping for the best.

How did your ale turn out? I'm curious to know if this will condition OK or continue to burn towards alcoholic water.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #8
scottab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM View Post
I just did the Brewer's Best Belgian IPA and had similar results. SG was 1.050 and FG after 1 week in primary was 1.004. Airlock activity was strong and steady for about 5 days and the last two slowed down very much but I still saw a few bubbles. Tasted it and it does have a very dry, alcohol taste, but I did not detect any other off flavors. I know I accidentally put in too much yeast nutrient (about 2x). Otherwise, no deviations. Not a hydrometer problem. I racked to secondary, dry hopped and I'm hoping for the best.

How did your ale turn out? I'm curious to know if this will condition OK or continue to burn towards alcoholic water.
It turned out very tasty, no hot alcohol flavors at all. I think it would have been slightly better with a tiny bit more residual sugar but overall it was on the money for flavor.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:36 AM   #9
RealLyte
Recipes 

My bga from brewers best also ended at 1.000. I was worried until I tasted it. Great flavor and no overpowering alcohol flavor for being ~9.3%.

Quick Reply