Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Belgian Candy Sugar / Dry Hop

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
SlapYoMomaBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

With proper o2 and the correct amount of yeast you will reach your goal gravity. All of my Belgian ales have used candi sugar and they all reach final gravity in 4-6 days of fermentation. Adding the candi sugar later seems like making something complicated that shouldn't be. Let your yeast do its job, they will go after all the sugar thats there! I also have found using yeast nutrients with my hi gravity Belgian ales helps a lot too!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
BuddyWeiser
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddoghoek View Post
The Belgian candi syrup is not the same. It's an inverted sugar and lends flavors as well as fermentables to the brew.
I made hard candi sugar using water, cane sugar, and cream of tartar, so mine should be inverted as well. The instructions I followed can be found here.

From my searching it appears that the syrup vs hard is simply whether or not water is added at the end of the process before the sugar cools and hardens. Also, I found that using beet sugar instead of cane sugar might be closer to the real thing.

RDWHAPBR

Old 06-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I add all simple sugars and steeping grain liquor with about 5 minutes left in the boil.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 06-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #14
Maddoghoek
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyWeiser

I made hard candi sugar using water, cane sugar, and cream of tartar, so mine should be inverted as well. The instructions I followed can be found here.

From my searching it appears that the syrup vs hard is simply whether or not water is added at the end of the process before the sugar cools and hardens. Also, I found that using beet sugar instead of cane sugar might be closer to the real thing.
Good article in the wiki! have to keep that in mind next time I need some.

From what I can gather, pure invert sugar tends not to crystallize. You can never get 100% conversion though. It's kind of like honey. It will eventually crystalize, but it takes a long time.

I never checked for availability of beet sugar where I am, but I imagine the difference between the 2 (beet vs. cane) isn't alot. Sucrose is sucrose.

Quick Reply