Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginnings and the carboy!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2005, 10:38 PM   #1
cmkelly29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beginnings and the carboy!

I'm getting ready to brew my first batch (Most likely an Irish stout), and was wondering... Is it absolutely necesarry for me to have a carboy, or can I just use what I'll have with my kit? I understand that glass carboys let you see the beer during the fermentation process, but is it necessary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2005, 10:56 PM   #2
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

glass carboys are not necessary....though i will venture that after a few brew sessions you'll want one. but no not necessary

Old 07-17-2005, 12:16 AM   #3
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkelly29
I'm getting ready to brew my first batch (Most likely an Irish stout), and was wondering... Is it absolutely necesarry for me to have a carboy, or can I just use what I'll have with my kit? I understand that glass carboys let you see the beer during the fermentation process, but is it necessary?
Glass carboys show their usefulness during the secondary stage. If you are going to rack from primary to secondary, then let it age a bit, glass is recommended. Glass is impervious to air, whereas plastic is not, meaning if you let your brew sit in plastic for a while there's a chance you'll get spoilage from oxygenation.

The other thing glass does, especially in secondary, is let you see the clarity of your brew.

Quick Reply