Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginnier - Good First Brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #11
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

The easiest first brew with decent results will be an extract pale ale with a single hops. You can find about a zillion recipes around.

That was NOT my first batch, but it is what I went to when I got frustrated with all the recipes with lots of ingredients and lots of steps.

Another option would be to look at chapter one of either Palmer or Papazian, and just follow the instructions in the book.

The Palmer one is even online at howtobrew.com

'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #12
Yesfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 209

I'm finding research is your best friend in this obsession. This place is a plethora of information and I'm surprised I haven't wore out the search engine when reading.

Just about any starter kit from the major HB companies would be good (Austin, Midwest, Northern Brewer, Williams, etc.) I got mine from Northern Brewer.

One thing I would like to add is, don't be afraid to splurge on a good kettle. When I bought my kit, I also added in the cost of a 5 gallon kettle. I regret not going bigger for doing full volume boils since most kits are based on 5 gallons.

Oh, and if you get on YouTube alot, avoid any of those home brew videos done by "Take Some Advice." Scary stuff.

Good luck!

Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA

Old 11-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #13
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 471 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 210

If you don't have a brewing set up yet then any of the previous sites mentioned put together good kits. Midwest occasionally has a great Groupon offer and when it's out it's usually mentioned on this site!

You will need a kettle, get a good one and get a bigger one than 5 gallons. You'll also need a sanitizer. Kits come with cleaners but not sanitizer. Star San or Iodophors are pretty much the standard recommendations.

Pale Ales are super easy and hard to screw up so find a kit with extract and steeping grains with the ABV you desire. Get a good yeast like SO5 or a liquid strain(you will need to learn about starters if you go liquid)

Read palmer's "How to Brew" as mentioned!!!!

Search for late extract additions and your beers color and flavor will be more true to the beer.

Have fun and ask questions! Welcome and cheers!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 11-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #14
Brew-Jay
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 10

My first brew was Northern Brewer Caribou Slobber. There's a good video on YouTube for how to brew it and it turned out good despite typical noob mistakes. I recommend it.

“In Vino Veritas, In Cervesio Felicitas” — Anonymous

SeekingAlpha Likes This 
Old 11-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #15
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Northern brewer has a special right now. Buy a 5 gallon kettle and ingredient kit you get a free $80 starter kit

Brew On!

Old 11-28-2012, 02:44 AM   #16
DoctorMemory
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 22

One of my first brews was a True Brew Porter kit. It's pretty simple and turned out well, although several people have reported that it never seems to get down to the final gravity the kit claims. Pair that up with a good starter equipment kit and you'll be good to go!

Old 11-28-2012, 03:21 AM   #17
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I did a brewer's best witbier kit. I would reccomend staying away from steeping grains the first time around. Not difficult, but an added step to screw up, freak out for 3 hours, then realize that it doesn't really matter in the long run. Stick to something you actually like drinking, so you know what it should taste like...

Conditioning:
On Deck: DIPA w/Heady Topper Yeast, Winter Warmer, Imperial Red

Old 11-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #18
Jrhd437
Recipes 

As someone who has only done three (3) beers and a few wines, I would say - whatever you do - cool the wort to the temp specified in the recipe before adding yeast... and sanitize well.

I'd pick a pre-hopped, all-malt if you want something simple that tastes dern good too. Of course, most kits (even with multiple hop additions and steeping grains) are still really easy.

Welcome to the hobby. It's a delicious one!!

Quick Reply