Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginnier - Good First Brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
blong4133
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beginnier - Good First Brew?

Hey all. Apologize if this question is asked a lot but I'm in the process of researching to make my first homebrew. I would like to know what some of you have found to be relatively easy for a first time brewer.

The types of beers that I am interested in trying to brew if they aren't too difficult for a first timer are Stouts/Porters/Pale Ales. In particular, I really love the fall seasonal brews a lot of breweries sell. Probably two of my favorite beers are New Belgium's Red Hoptober, and Sierra Nevada's Tumbler. I'm not sure what differentiates the fall brews from others because I have not gotten into research specific types of beers just yet.

And for what it's worth, I'll be using a beer making kit. Once I start getting the hang of things, I'll upgrade the equipment. But I've always wanted to get into homebrewing and thought that a beer making kit would be the most practical way to get my feet wet.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
BlindFaith
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I am new to brewing as well (4 batches deep) and my first brew was a hodgepodge of old LME and some Cascade hops, but it turned out pretty decent. I'd recommend getting a basic extract kit with some grains to steep from your LHBS or one of the many online stores (Midwest, NB, AustinHomeBrew, etc...) I have used Midwest for 3 of my 4 batches, but their shipping is too much (11 bucks) and I recently stumbled upon a really good LHBS. Again, order you a kit or go to a brew shop and get a kit for one of your favorite beers. Just brew something that you like to drink.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Erich8
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong4133 View Post
Hey all. Apologize if this question is asked a lot but I'm in the process of researching to make my first homebrew. I would like to know what some of you have found to be relatively easy for a first time brewer.

The types of beers that I am interested in trying to brew if they aren't too difficult for a first timer are Stouts/Porters/Pale Ales. In particular, I really love the fall seasonal brews a lot of breweries sell. Probably two of my favorite beers are New Belgium's Red Hoptober, and Sierra Nevada's Tumbler. I'm not sure what differentiates the fall brews from others because I have not gotten into research specific types of beers just yet.

And for what it's worth, I'll be using a beer making kit. Once I start getting the hang of things, I'll upgrade the equipment. But I've always wanted to get into homebrewing and thought that a beer making kit would be the most practical way to get my feet wet.

Thanks!
My first brew was the White House Honey Porter clone that my LHBS had put together, naturally I rushed it since it was my first but all in all it turned out pretty good for a first brew IMO. I love the roasted smell and finish I get with it. It was relatively easy as well. Just pick what you like, do research before hand and be patient. Good luck!

Old 11-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 857 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich8 View Post
pick what you like, do research before hand and be patient. Good luck!
best advice anyone can offer

I also wish you luck & welcome to the obsession

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 11-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
Erich8
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

And as a side note, check out YouTube. There are some really good extract brewing videos as well as all grain whenever you're ready to take that step. Terpsichoreankid, CraigTube, BrewerTV, Beer Geek Nation, etc. All have some really good and informative videos. The first two are the ones that I stumbled upon and watched the most after my first brew and I wish I would have found them, as well as this forum, beforehand. I have found really good info here and the people know what they are talking about and have quick response times.. Just joined up yesterday but I'm sure I will be sticking around for a while.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich8
And as a side note, check out YouTube. There are some really good extract brewing videos as well as all grain whenever you're ready to take that step. Terpsichoreankid, CraigTube, BrewerTV, Beer Geek Nation, etc. All have some really good and informative videos. The first two are the ones that I stumbled upon and watched the most after my first brew and I wish I would have found them, as well as this forum, beforehand. I have found really good info here and the people know what they are talking about and have quick response times.. Just joined up yesterday but I'm sure I will be sticking around for a while.

Terpsichoreankid is the guy who owns my lhbs... Extremely helpful and courteous, patient with a newbie. Will be headed back to his shop on Wednesday
Conditioning:
On Deck: DIPA w/Heady Topper Yeast, Winter Warmer, Imperial Red

Old 11-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
Erich8
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfinleyui View Post
Terpsichoreankid is the guy who owns my lhbs... Extremely helpful and courteous, patient with a newbie. Will be headed back to his shop on Wednesday
Yeah he seems like it. I started watching his vids and then realized he owns the shop. Also, I tried calling him to order from him online just cause hes helped me out a lot through his vids.. And he never got back to me. Guess I should clarify.. The reason I called was to see if he had free shipping on orders over a certain amount that way I could justify ordering through him.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich8

Yeah he seems like it. I started watching his vids and then realized he owns the shop. Also, I tried calling him to order from him online just cause hes helped me out a lot through his vids.. And he never got back to me. Guess I should clarify.. The reason I called was to see if he had free shipping on orders over a certain amount that way I could justify ordering through him.
When was that? He's always very responsive when I ask questions on facebook. I know the shop is closed on occasion, most recently because of holiday travel, and kidney stones before that. I'd chat him up on their Facebook page.
Conditioning:
On Deck: DIPA w/Heady Topper Yeast, Winter Warmer, Imperial Red

Old 11-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
Erich8
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

It was last Tuesday or Wednesday? He might have been closed for Thanksgiving. Not ruling that out. And he may have just ignored it cause of the different area code assuming it was a telemarketer or something.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
blong4133
Recipes 

Thanks for all the responses! I'm really glad I stumbled upon this site. A lot of great info and helpful posters! Thanks again and any more suggestions regarding where to get the best stuff will be greatly appreciated. I don't have access to a supply store so will have to order everything I need.

Quick Reply