Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > A beginner's equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 03:13 AM   #1
nevercominhome
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A beginner's equipment

So I'm wanting to pull the trigger on purchasing this as my starting equipment. Any suggestions and/or comments. I'm fairly sure that this is a hobby I wish to pursue for some time. Should I go with a kit like this or downgrade somewhat....or upgrade for that matter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 03:19 AM   #2
Kai

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Wow. That is a pretty solid startup set. It sounds like money's not a big deal for you - I put my kit together gradually, but except for my extra carboys, ingredients, and all-grain equipment, that's basically everything I have.

Some of it isn't what I'd recommend - floating thermometer etc - but as a bundle it looks really solid and complete. All I got in my starter kit was a bucket, carboy, syphon set, bottle filler, and some bleach sanitiser. I rented a capper when necessary and used my old 3-gallon stockpot for extract boils.

Kegged: Christmas Ale
Bottle Conditioning:
Drinking: Saison Bâtard

The Green Wall Nanobrewery
tibi non nolis

Old 02-12-2008, 03:44 AM   #3
goswell
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It looks like it comes with a twin lever bottle capper and for that money I wouldn't want anything but a bench capper. Plus, if you plan to brew all grain, you'll need a mash tun which will add cost. If you plan to brew with extract, the boil kettle you'll get is going to be huge to work with for only a 3 gallon boil.

Check this kit out, it doesn't have a kettle or the chiller but everything else is real good. At a minimum it would be good for comparison
http://www.brewngrowmn.com/detail.js...504&category=0

Old 02-12-2008, 03:47 AM   #4
AFAJ Brew Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by goswell
It looks like it comes with a twin lever bottle capper and for that money I wouldn't want anything but a bench capper. Plus, if you plan to brew all grain, you'll need a mash tun which will add cost. If you plan to brew with extract, the boil kettle you'll get is going to be huge to work with for only a 3 gallon boil.
Bench cappers are nice, but if you are just starting out a wing capper will work just as well. I have used both and they do work.

As for the stock pot. I think 8 gal is good. You can also do full boil extracts, if you do that then the 8 is a must.

"There seems to be an over abundance of beer related items in this house." -SWMBO

Old 02-12-2008, 03:49 AM   #5
MULE
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Uh, yeah. This startup kit looks great. I agree with the comment about the floating thermomenter. I would buy one that sticks to the carboy.

You should be good to go for while. Over time you'll learn your specific needs.

Pull the trigger and let the rounds fly down range.

On Deck: LD's Summer Ales, LD's IIPA

Old 02-12-2008, 03:53 AM   #6
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

You can compare a bit. Northern Brewery has a number of starter kits: http://www.northernbrewer.com/starterkits.html

Take into account any plans you may have for the future. Try not to purchase items twice. That 8 gallon kettle may work fine for extract brewing and then it can be used to heat your sparge water if you go all grain and get a larger kettle.

Spend a bit of time poking around this site and you will soon figure out what it is you need.

Good luck and have fun.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:55 AM   #7
paranode
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's a pretty nice kit. The only thing I can think of is going with a cheaper kit with the bare necessities and using the extra money to start kegging.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #8
surfingpl
Recipes 

That kit seems like a really good deal to me, but I am still a newbie too. It even comes with free shipping?

Old 02-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #9
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If you have the cash, go with extra carboys, you will probably need them once you really get into the hobby... The backlog can be a bit taxing after a while... I myself have 8 6.5 gallon primaries and 12 5 gallon secondaries and a few kegs. I still have to be careful when racking and rotating beer to ensure I don't get a huge backlog.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 02-12-2008, 10:11 PM   #10
Limited Visibility
Recipes 

Kit looks nice I bet you will have many fun nights with what you can make in that

Quick Reply