New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > beginner's equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 01:26 AM   #11
HSM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figbash View Post
A hydrometer is optional. As long as you use proven recipes and measure your ingredients carefully, your beer will turn out fine without one. I haven't use a hydrometer in years and my beer turns very good and very consistent.
It's not often you see some advising not to use a hydrometer. But I didn't use one for 10 years when first started. Never had a bad beer in the bunch. I've just started using the one that came with my first kit, only because I'm a computer dude and there is beersmith and promash... So If anything, I know my final ABv.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2009, 03:16 AM   #12
aaronbeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

DON'T EVER BUY BOTTLES!!!!! I get all my bottles out of a recycle center for FREE. Unless you dont want to clean and take the labels off.

I cant stop buying supplies! It's a sickness!!!! First the beginner supplies, then some upgrades, then a fermentation chamber, and now all grain! When will it stop?

Old 03-22-2009, 03:25 AM   #13
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I like buying bottles that come with free beer

Old 03-22-2009, 03:26 AM   #14
dennyluan
Recipes 

Oh I am fine with the bottles. I have been collecting beer/soda bottles since I first decided I was going to brew my own, so I have a good solid collection of green/brown/clear bottles. I am going to go to the grocery store to see if I can get some buckets tomorrow.

So it seems, really, that all I need to actually brew is a large enough primary fermenter, which I am hoping to use a big pale for, an airlock, siphon, and bottle capper. Bottles I can get easily enough, and I will boil the wort in my 3-gal stove pot. I can put the other two gals of water into the pale if I am doing 5 gal batches. So here is my proposed kit:

Bottle capper, fresh caps - Cheap, $5-$10
Bukkits - hopefully free
Bottles - free
Airlock - $5
Hose/Siphon - >$10
Hydrometer - $5

So, aside from ingrediants and disinfectants, I am looking at about $30 to brew my first brew. Anything else I should include in this Poor Man's Beginning Brew Kit?

Last edited by dennyluan; 03-22-2009 at 03:39 AM.

Quick Reply