Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginner Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
Frenchy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beginner Recipes

Does anyone have a list of recipes that would be good for beginners? I know I should start off with an extract recipe, but unsure what direction to go. Personally I prefer wheat beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

You could search around the recipe database for extract recipes. If you like Hefeweizens, it couldn't be easier.

Wheat extract is typically a 50/50 or 60/40 mix of barley to wheat. Use enough wheat extract to get to an OG of around 1.050 for whatever volume you want. Bitter with 1oz of Hallertauer, or low alpha noble hop to around 15IBU max. Use a good Hefeweizen strain. Wyeast has several strains, but 3068 is probably the most popular. White Labs is WLP003 I think, but don't quote me on that. Pitch low, and ferment at 65F or lower.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
mximus11
Recipes 

Are you looking to make your own recipe or just wanting to find a good kit? AHS has a dunkel wiezen right now that is good and at a reasonable price. They also have a wheat stout that is good too. Good luck

Old 02-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

There is a pretty big difference in taste between an American Wheat and a Hefeweizen. Take a look at the recipe database and use American hops and a clean ale yeast like US-05 for an American Wheat, conversely use a good Hefeweizen yeast and german noble hops for the Hefeweizen.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 02-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
dracus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Wheat beers are easy. I liked the hefe I made a lot.

Just plain wheat extract which I get in bulk from lhbs plus I added a little carapils which gives the beer more body and some extra head retention.

Use a hefe yeast and you'll have a fantastic beer. I like either the white labs hefe strain or the Wyeast 3068 one both are from the same place and produce nice clove/bannana notes.

Traditionally hefe use pilsner the wheat extract may or may not use pils.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:07 AM   #6
Frenchy
Recipes 

I'm not specifically looking for a kit, as I would like to get the feel of buying each ingredient seperately. I may give the Dunkel kit a try if nothing else. Dracus, could you send me the recipe that you used for your Hefe??

Old 02-09-2010, 02:36 AM   #7
dracus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

7 lb wheat extract
.25 lb carafoam
1 oz hallertu for 60min
White labs hefeweizen yeast

I pitch per Mr malty and ferment at 64 until done and rack strait to bottle.

I carb it based on style which in this case is more than the 3 volumes I typically do

Quick Reply