Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginner recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
niraj83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Beginner recipe

Hello,

I received a book titled "brooklyn Brewshop's Ber making book." it's made for beginners. I tried a recipe from the book, but it really didn't come out that good. It seems like the recipes are all all-grains. My brother has also brewed a few batches (1 with syrup, other partial grain). He'll be helping me.

I really like heavily seasoned beers (Harpoon's winter warmer is one of my favorites). I should probably go with something simple, but also want to make something I enjoy. The recipe I'm considering is a gingerbread ale: lots of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves etc.

Any recipes or tips? Also, the book is made for small batches (1 gallon). The time I tried making beer last I made 5 so I didn't feel like i was wasting my time. Is that ok?

Thanks for your help!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 347 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

If you have an LHBS (Local Homebrew Shop) go in and ask if they have any extract recipes to recommend. They usually have some there to print off. You then just buy the ingredients from them and follow the directions. It's a pretty good way to get started. If no shop is availablle look at Northern Brewer's website they will have such kits and quite a variety.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Don't know if you've seen the recipe database on here (tool bar at the top of the page). They are listed by style so you could look in the spiced/vegetable beer section and then sort by extract, partial mash, etc.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 283

Not to be calling you names, but......KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. What I mean is until you know how to brew stick w/simple proven recipes w/out extra things added. Brew your self an IPA or a Porter. When you have the process down you can begin to experiment.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Old 12-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Rider View Post
Not to be calling you names, but......KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. What I mean is until you know how to brew stick w/simple proven recipes w/out extra things added. Brew your self an IPA or a Porter. When you have the process down you can begin to experiment.
Not sure what is different between following a recipe for an IPA or a recipe for a winter warmer with spices. I could understanding not recommending making your own recipe with those additions, but don't see any difficulty of following a proven recipe for something like that, especially if he has an acquired taste for that style. What's the difference between adding an ounce of hops or adding a ounce of cinnamon if they are both listed on the recipe sheet?

You like Harpoon winter warmer I say brew it! Here's a proven recipe for it, extract or all grain on the page. Just follow the directions and do not add extra spices.

http://byo.com/stories/recipeindex/a...r-warmer-clone

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 12-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
ludomonster
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
Not sure what is different between following a recipe for an IPA or a recipe for a winter warmer with spices. I could understanding not recommending making your own recipe with those additions, but don't see any difficulty of following a proven recipe for something like that, especially if he has an acquired taste for that style. What's the difference between adding an ounce of hops or adding a ounce of cinnamon if they are both listed on the recipe sheet?

You like Harpoon winter warmer I say brew it! Here's a proven recipe for it, extract or all grain on the page. Just follow the directions and do not add extra spices.
I think it depends on the OP's intentions. Some brewers want to make the beer and be able to have a good homebrew around. Others want to come up with their own recipes.

Bottled: Old Freckled Men, Berlin Mart Cider, Creamer Ale II
English Mother****er, Do You Drink It Pale Ale
C4 Pale Ale (Centennial, Challenger, Cascade, Citra hopburst)

Gone: Honeybadger Wheat Ale, Bad Amba Jamma, Badder Amba Jamma, Slam Dunkelweizen, Creamer Ale I, Robust Porter

Old 12-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 347 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

A good place to get information on formulating beers is the book Designing Great Beers.

Quick Reply