Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginner question...pumpkin ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Looks like a very cool recipe...one I may try !!

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
Caleb1980
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

One last bump before I hit the homebrew shop this afternoon for supplies.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I wish someone with more experience would chime in on this - the choice of liberty in that recipe seems peculiar to me. I could be way off here, but liberty is more of a lager aroma hop - using it to bitter a spicy yam or pumpkin seems weird to me. I'd love to hear others' take on this.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:14 AM   #14
Caleb1980
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well the shop was out of liberty, so they suggested golding. I got 2 oz of those ill use unless that's a terrible idea. Tommorow I'll brew, I'll be sure to update with results.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:17 AM   #15
Caleb1980
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

update: Everything went pretty well on brew day. I added 3.5 lbs of roasted yams with the mash in grain bags. I added the spiced and vanilla bean with 2 minutes left in the boil. And 2 oz of golding at 30 minutes.
I came up with an oddly low og reading, twice. I blame it on topping off with water and not getting it mixed up well enough. I got two different, low reading before i said to hell with it, it is what it is and threw on the airlock. I need to figure that one out. It's currently bubbling away. I'll put it into secondary next weekend with a cup of maple syrup. Hopefully all is well.
I assume with a big beer like this it will take a little longer to condition in the bottle and carbonate properly? I was hoping to have a few for thanksgiving, but they may be better saved for christmas perhaps? Thanks for all the advice, i'll keep you updated on how it comes out.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #16
Caleb1980
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

another update: Bottled over the weekend. It sat for 5 weeks in primary, and had a final gravity of 1.020 By my math this will put it at 8.7%. It tasted really good from the sample i tried and cleared up really well, i was expecting a more cloudy beer but was pleasantly surprised. I did add just a little more spices at bottling. Hopefully it will be drinkable by Christmas. We'll see. Thanks again for the help, i couldn't have pulled this recipe off without the help I got on this forum

Quick Reply