Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginner question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
jpeebs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default Beginner question

So I made a batch of Yukon scotch ale Monday, and it is fermenting in my basement right now. Had bubbles for 2 days. Check on it today and no bubbles. When I push gently on the lid, I do get bubbles though. Is there anything I'm doing wrong or should look out for? I had this with the first batch I made (this is my second) and the end result was still awesome. I also cracked the kid open to get a whiff and noticed there wasn't a whole lot if action going on inside; but I don't really know how much is supposed to be going on. Any suggestions help. Thanks!

If you like good music, check out http://www.reverbnation.com/sourmashkats or http://www.facebook.com/sourmashkats.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Pull a sample, take a hydrometer reading.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
jpeebs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Question about samples then: do i pour it back in after? Or dump it?

If you like good music, check out http://www.reverbnation.com/sourmashkats or http://www.facebook.com/sourmashkats.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
WDT
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 38

+1, check the hydrometer. It will tell you what's going on in there. Bubbles in the airlock aren't really a reliable indicator of what's happening in the fermenter.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1651 Times on 1173 Posts
Likes Given: 671

Two days isn't unreasonable for active fermentation to be over. I've had beers take anywhere from 2 to 7 days for the airlock to quiet down, and as long as 3 weeks for it to actually reach final gravity. If you're really worried, give it a week, then pull a sample and check with your hydrometer. That's the only way to know for sure what's going on. But I'd bet the really active fermentation is through, and the yeast are just working slowly through the last of the sugars and/or cleaning up after themselves. Just cause the airlock isn't bubbling doesn't mean its done.

Up Next: Robust Porter, Dark Mild, Bluebird Bitter Clone v2.0, Kitchen Sink Brown Porter
Primary: English Cider, Belgian IPA
Souring: Lamebic, Flanders Red, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter, Wild Cider
Polypins: (Empty for now)
Bottled: Doppelsticke Altbier, Berliner Weisse, Spiced Winter Warmer, Malt Liquor
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 10-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
Hojo3322
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Most likely everything is ok just let it sit for 3-4 weeks. I would recommend a starter for all beers you brew. This way you ensure yeast health, proper cell count, and usually quicker fermentation. Happy brewing!

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Old 10-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
EnjoyGoodBeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeebs
Question about samples then: do i pour it back in after? Or dump it?
You better of dumping it or drinking it. Altho if you sanatized good you could put it back in. I would just drink it IMO.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 501 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Bubbles or no bubbles after 2-4 days the beer is not ready. An airlock is a vent to allow fermentation gasses to escape so you do not blow the lid off. Once active fermentation slows down so do the bubbles and if there is not enough gas to escape then there may be no bubbles!

Gravity readings are the only reliable measure of fermentation progress and I can pretty much assure you the beer needs more time. A general rule is 2 weeks minimum to achieve FG and clear beer. Most people go 3-4 weeks. So....... in another week check for FG, then check again 2 days later, if the same then FG is met, then leave the beer an additional week to clear.

Next batch, put the fermenter somewhere and leave it alone and stop watching bubbles! Find something better to do with your time

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyGoodBeer View Post
You better of dumping it or drinking it. Altho if you sanatized good you could put it back in. I would just drink it IMO.
Drink it. And leave your beer alone until the end of the week. Even if it's done, you won't want to move it just yet. Take a sample, record it, take another 3 days later. If they're the same, it's done...but more time will be best if you can wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
EnjoyGoodBeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman

Next batch, put the fermenter somewhere and leave it alone and stop watching bubbles! Find something better to do with your time
Always nice to see bubbles, but yes to what everyone said here step away the yeast know what there doing. It takes a bit of time patience is a vertue. Prost!

Quick Reply