Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginner question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007, 01:03 AM   #1
40ozOLDe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

well just bought my home brew kit today. Cleaned everything quite extensively and started brewing. a couple of questions or comments. First what is this "steeping" talk of refer too? Second i made the mistake of pouring my hot wart into the fermenting bucket with 4 gallons of cool water. Apparently a mistake as i have been waiting for it to cool for over an hour too add my yeast.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2007, 01:39 AM   #2
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Some recipes call for the steeping of specialty grains. These grains will add some flavor, color, and body to your beer. Many people brew with extract + specialty grains because steeping grains is relatively easy, you just let them sit, in a bag, for 15 minutes at ~150F before you add the extract the boil.

I have found the best way to cool the wort is to put it, in my brew pot, in the bath tub with ice water. Cover the pot, open it and stir occasionally. My last brew I was able to cool in 10 minutes. You want to do this as quickly as possible as to not let any bacteria or wild yeast get into the wort. You are having trouble cooling it because the plastic bucket is a better insulator than the pot. I usually cool then pour the water in on top of the wort vigorously to aerate.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:52 AM   #3
cormi3r
Recipes 

Default Steeping lesson

I recently made a batch of beer that required steeping of carmel malt and I boiled it. Apparently if you boil specialty malts instead of stteping you will likely cause the tannins in the husks to give your beer an astringent quality. Luckily the beer I made had a ton of vanilla in it so the vanilla seems to be the dominant flavor which has mostly masked my error.

Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Primary: Apfelwein (EdWort's recipe)
Secondary: ~~ empty ~~
On Deck: Chocolate Cherry Stout or Irish Red
Bottled (conditioning):~~ nothing ~~
Bottled (drinking): Honey Brown Ale, Boddington's Clone (Pub Ale), Watermelon Ale
Planning: Palace Bitter
Consumed: Hefeweizen, Cheesy's Caramel Cream Ale

Old 04-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #4
40ozOLDe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
Some recipes call for the steeping of specialty grains. These grains will add some flavor, color, and body to your beer. Many people brew with extract + specialty grains because steeping grains is relatively easy, you just let them sit, in a bag, for 15 minutes at ~150F before you add the extract the boil.

I have found the best way to cool the wort is to put it, in my brew pot, in the bath tub with ice water. Cover the pot, open it and stir occasionally. My last brew I was able to cool in 10 minutes. You want to do this as quickly as possible as to not let any bacteria or wild yeast get into the wort. You are having trouble cooling it because the plastic bucket is a better insulator than the pot. I usually cool then pour the water in on top of the wort vigorously to aerate.
good stuff man thanks.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:28 AM   #5
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40ozOLDe
...Second i made the mistake of pouring my hot wart into the fermenting bucket with 4 gallons of cool water. Apparently a mistake as i have been waiting for it to cool for over an hour too add my yeast.

Thanks
I always put three 1-gallon jugs of water into the freezer at the beginning of my brew. (make sure they don't freeze solid)

I put my boil pot into my kitchen sink with cold water. Wait for the surrounding water to warm and move to the other sink with cold water. Stir it gently to move the water but don't aerate yet. Repeat three times and then pour into fermenter with the three super chilled jugs of water (or until you hit 5 gallons) and you'll hit 75 degrees everytime.

Quick Reply