*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginner observation about PET bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 01:42 AM   #11
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by duskb View Post
Unless it's changed in the last year or so it is in Mexico but it's still HFCS here in the States. Coke USA sued Coke SA because their product was selling in US border towns for almost 50% more and they couldn't keep em in stock. Apparently it was a violation of their agreement.
Which Coke are you talking about? The bottling company or the one that sells the syrup?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 02:59 AM   #12
duskb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Which Coke are you talking about? The bottling company or the one that sells the syrup?
I don't believe it said. The US company was preparing to sue the South American arm to force it to control its distribution since Coke US was loosing market share in border towns. The article was in the WSJ or Fast Company, I think. They didn't mention anything about syrup....just the bootlegged bottles coming over the border.

I figured the parent company would be grateful about it...you know, learn a cheap lesson and give consumers what they want. Instead they threatened all sorts of legal action.

Gotta love corporate America...shove s--t down peoples throats and buy out the competition. BMC style...

----
Dusk Bennett
Audio Engineer
Los Angeles CA
www.duskbennett.com

Old 07-31-2009, 03:42 AM   #13
Smitty025
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duskb View Post
I figured the parent company would be grateful about it...you know, learn a cheap lesson and give consumers what they want. Instead they threatened all sorts of legal action.
Well, it's a lot cheaper for them to use HFCS because of the way our government subsidizes corn. That's a discussion for another thread though, I think.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:27 AM   #14
RubenAlonzo
Recipes 

Here's my take on why beer tastes better in the glass than the PET:

My contention is that the strength of the container used to condition the beer has a lot to do with the end result. The PET bottles will "give", in other words they will expand at the sides somewhat just the tiniest amount however imperceptible it may to us, but they do, as compared to glass which is thicker and will not.

thereby the carbonation taking place in the PET goes UP to the neck more so than the beer itself when you crack it it open, as opposed to most of it in the glass getting forced INTO the beer itself adding body etc.

Just my 2 scientific two cents.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:49 AM   #15
IceFisherChris
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Let me ask you one question: When you did your taste test, did you know which beer came from the glass bottle and which came from the plastic bottle?

Old 01-28-2010, 03:53 AM   #16
dracus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

unless you did a triangle test there is no way to rule out placebo effects.

Two of one type and one of the other. Great way to do side by sides.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:53 AM   #17
AnthonyD
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan36 View Post
I am a beginner and this is my second extract brew. I used all plastic bottles the first brew. This brew I used about half plastic bottles and half 12oz brown glass bottles and a capper.
I believed the conventional wisdom that theres not much of a difference between beer in glass bottles and beer in PET bottles.
But thats not my opinion now at all. The beer in the glass bottles had a much better head, the beer itself had more complex flavors, more body.
The beer in the PET bottles tasted much thinner, had a weaker head, and generally was inferior in every way to the beer in the glass bottles.
Both glass and PET bottles had beer in them previously and were sanitised using Star San.

I'm going all glass after this the difference in quality is huge.

Is it not more likely that your second batch of beer was simply an improvement over your first??

Was everything else besides the bottles exactly the same? Recipe, procedures, fermentation time/temperature, bottle conditioning, etc etc??

Bottled: AHS Red Stripe Lager clone; AHS American Amber Ale; Apfelwein/Cyser, Coffee Stout
In Primary: Nut Brown Ale, Apfelwein
On Deck: Anchor Steam clone

Quick Reply