Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginner needing pointers on the next steps...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
PeterPumpkinhead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beginner needing pointers on the next steps...

Hi all, my first ever home beer is currently brewing, but despite following the instructions and watching loads of youtube videos, I'm a but confused as to what to do next:

I have a couple of more days until the lager is done fermenting, at which point, am I supposed to put it into the beer pressuriser/barrel and then bottle it all immediately? OR can I transfer it into pressuriser/barrel, add some sugar to carbonate it (?) then draw on it when I want it??

Thanks in advance?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 77

If its a real lager you will need a diacetyl rest at an elevated temp. That is if you haven't used ale yeast. You might was to reply with the yeast you used. Then it would need to be lagered either in bulk or in bottles. Once again that's if it is a real lager, not an ale (except kolsch strains can be lagered for good results after primary).

Next is you want to check with a hydrometer the gravity of the beer when you think it's done fermenting. Do this 3 days in a row, if the gravity changes it is not done. If it shows the same reading all 3 days you can bottle.

Next you need to bottle. Go to northern brewers priming sugar calculator (google that) and you can get the correct amount to add. Table or corn sugar will work. Boil it in a cup of water for 10 minutes, pour that into bottling bucket and drain beer from your fermenter on top of it. Then stir gently and bottle.

If using a keg you can skip the priming sugar if you are force carbonating with co2.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
PeterPumpkinhead
Recipes 

Hi Mojzis, thanks for this. I will check the yeast..

Ref using a keg - is this the bottling bucket with the tap on? Can I keep it in there with co2 only or is adequate sugar enough?

Old 12-31-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
PeterPumpkinhead
Recipes 

PS do I also need to put sugar in every bottle if I am putting sugar in the bottling bucket?

Old 12-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1912 Times on 1682 Posts
Likes Given: 1415

The pail with the spigot on it is the bottling bucket. IT CAN'T BE USED AS A KEG! It isn't designed to hold pressure like those plastic pressure bottle things in the UK. not the same thing.
You boil some 2C of water for a few minutes,winding up with about 1.5C. Add the weighed amount of priming sugar to this,stiring to dissolve. Cover & cool a bit before ading to the beer racking into the bottling bucket.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
PeterPumpkinhead
Recipes 

This is what I have to put it in from the fermenter - is this just for bottling from or can I leave the beer in there and draw on it when I want it? If I can, does it have to be forced with CO2 or will the sugar do the trick?

Old 12-31-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts

That is a bottling bucket. It is used to mix the priming sugar with the green beer and provide a conveinent method of filling the bottles. If you wish to keg, you need a stainless steel vessel designed to hold pressure. Cornelius is a manufacturer that makes 5 gallon "keg" containers for the fountain soda industry. It's what most home brewers who choose to keg use. A keg would not have a spigot at the bottom. It would have 2 valves in the top. One for applying pressure (CO2) and one to draw the product out from the bottom of a long dip tube. BTW, in addition to the vessel above, you need a filling wand to ensure you fill the bottles from the bottom without splashing. Splashing beer causes oxidation, which tastes like wet cardboard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornelius_keg

Old 12-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
PeterPumpkinhead
Recipes 

Ahh yes I've seen those, I will get one...

Bit annoyed as this ''kit'' I purchased claimed it had everything I needed, yet none of these things, just the fermenter, the bottling bucket, a spoon and a syphon!!

Thanks!

Old 12-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1912 Times on 1682 Posts
Likes Given: 1415

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
That is a bottling bucket. It is used to mix the priming sugar with the green beer and provide a conveinent method of filling the bottles. If you wish to keg, you need a stainless steel vessel designed to hold pressure. Cornelius is a manufacturer that makes 5 gallon "keg" containers for the fountain soda industry. It's what most home brewers who choose to keg use. A keg would not have a spigot at the bottom. It would have 2 valves in the top. One for applying pressure (CO2) and one to draw the product out from the bottom of a long dip tube. BTW, in addition to the vessel above, you need a filling wand to ensure you fill the bottles from the bottom without splashing. Splashing beer causes oxidation, which tastes like wet cardboard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornelius_keg
WRONG!! That's a pressure barrel that they get in kits in the UK typically. they usually look like a barrel. You prime the beer in there after racking from primary. After a couple weeks,you serve from it. It is def not a bottling bucket. It's just not something sold or used over here.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
PeterPumpkinhead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
WRONG!! That's a pressure barrel that they get in kits in the UK typically. they usually look like a barrel. You prime the beer in there after racking from primary. After a couple weeks,you serve from it. It is def not a bottling bucket. It's just not something sold or used over here.
Does this mean I can literally serve from it (straight to a glass) once I have syphoned the beer into it?

and if I can, do I need the CO2 thing or will the sugar carbonate it enough?

Quick Reply