HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginner here, first batch tonight: advice??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
TurboYeast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beginner here, first batch tonight: advice??

First off, I am a new member and this is my first post. Im sure there have been hundreds of new member/beginning batch posts, so thanks in advance for any advice. I am brewing my first batch tonight which is a abita turbodog mock kit. We will be using a 10 gallon stainless kettle on a propane burner. we will be brewing a full batch of five gallons. Any advice as far as sanitizing the kettle itself? and does anyone have any advice as far as switching over to a glass carboy after the brew is done. For the first brew we are probably just going to stick to the primary and forgoe the secondary for simplicity sakes. Bad or good idea? As far as sanitation goes, i realize that one germ on anything can ruin an entire batch of beer. Once again thanks in advance!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Ineedaride2
Recipes 

No real reason to sanitize the boil kettle, as far as I know.

You don't need to secondary, just leave it in primary.

Not sure what you're asking about the carboy, though. If you're asking how to get the wort in there, most people use a siphon hose. If you don't have that, I don't see why a sterilized funnel wouldn't work.

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
tomije87
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboYeast View Post
First off, I am a new member and this is my first post. Im sure there have been hundreds of new member/beginning batch posts, so thanks in advance for any advice. I am brewing my first batch tonight which is a abita turbodog mock kit. We will be using a 10 gallon stainless kettle on a propane burner. we will be brewing a full batch of five gallons. Any advice as far as sanitizing the kettle itself? and does anyone have any advice as far as switching over to a glass carboy after the brew is done. For the first brew we are probably just going to stick to the primary and forgoe the secondary for simplicity sakes. Bad or good idea? As far as sanitation goes, i realize that one germ on anything can ruin an entire batch of beer. Once again thanks in advance!!!
Zero reason to sanitize the kettle if you actually generate a boil. The high temp will kill any bacteria.

If you are using a carboy as a primary, make sure it's fully sanitized and make sure your wort is cooled below 80 degrees before transferring. Otherwise, you may temp-shock your carboy and end up with wort all over the floor and a shattered carboy. Also, if you are doing a full 5 gallon batch, you will want AT LEAST a 6.5 g carboy, otherwise you'll end up with a mess.

It's perfectly fine to not use a secondary and just leave the beer in the primary.

On a side note, two things:

1) get your second batch ready to go b/c you'll hate waiting
2) make sure you start with more than 5 g of water, as you'll lose a decent amount due to boil off (pretty simply concept).

On tap: Oktoberfest, Centennial Blonde, AHS American Amber, AHS Bavarian Hefeweizen
Primary/Secondary: Maibock
On deck: American Wheat

Old 02-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
TurboYeast
Recipes 

Thanks so much for the advice!!! you guys are answering alot of questions!!

Old 02-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 166

I agree, no need to sanitize the boil kettle as the above posters have stated, I boil off 1.5 gallons per hour in my system, so make sure you start with enough water, don't put a lid on the kettle while it is boiling.

How will you be cooling the wort down to pitching temps? do you have an immersion chiller? or will you be using a cold water bath to cool? You need to chill down the wort before racking to the carboy, also make sure you aerate while transferring to give the yeast the needed oxygen to reproduce and start fermenting.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 02-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
TurboYeast
Recipes 

yeah as far as aerating the yeast i was going to swirl it around and get some action going on in there when syphoning into the car boy. and for cooling down, i dont have any sort of chiller. being as it is 30 degrees outside, i firgure just letting it sit out there for an hour or so would get it at 80 or below. Time is not of the essence tonight. is that a bad method?

Old 02-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

My newbie lesson is get lots more water than you think you'll need.
I had to get more from the store because my tap water went milky white with starsan. I was already at 50/50 mix with RO water for the first brew.

If you use a funnel to transfer, get the widest and tallest you can find. Also quite a lot of people have deformed an auto-siphon in hot liquid.

I love glass carboys. I have 6 of them.

I have decided to be a member of the "secondary only when required" camp. So far so good.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
str8wire
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you don't have a wort chiller, I would recommend NOT doing a full boil. Chilling 5 gal or hot wort in a water bath can take a while. I would recommend doing about 3 gal boil. Have another 3 gal chilling in the freezer before you start. Add the super cold water to the carboy first, then siphon the hot wort into that. The hot plus cold will get a lot closer to pitching temps. Your hop utilization will be lower due to the partial boil, but it will still be beer.

There are no badder beers, just better beers.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
ongreystreet
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboYeast View Post
i realize that one germ on anything can ruin an entire batch of beer.
Wrong.

Sanitize, not Sterilize.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
brewit2it
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

No need to sterilize it, but if it is a brand new brew pot you do want to wash it before 1st use since most new pots have a light covering of machine oil. Wash it with mild unsented warm soapy water and rinse it several times then you could even boil some water in it for half an hour (then pour it out) for a test run and further cleaning and curing if it is aluminum.

Air even at 30 degrees isn't going to be a very efficient way to cool down from a boil. If you can use a water or ice bath that will cool it much faster.

Quick Reply