Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginner Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
sankenship
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Crap... I didn't boil the water before topping off the carboy. I did use filtered water though. Wonder if that matters.

Thanks everyone for your responses. They were really helpful. Next batch I'll keep it in the primary and skip the secondary. Being new to homebrewing I was excited to be more involved with the process but I'm now realizing I'll need to be more patient and let the beer do its thing.

Speaking of impatience - I'm anxious to try an all grain brew. I've been reading a lot about brew in a bag. I have a couple 6 gallon pots so was thinking of trying the two pot method. Anyone have any personal experience with this method? My only concern at this point is low efficiency.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2103 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 1551

The filtered water was likely ok. I didn't even do that in the early days with Cooper's & they came out fine.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:36 AM   #13
jro238
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I really doubt you'll have any problems with your water not being boiled. It is good practice but most likely won't cause problems if skipped on occasion. I have used 2 pots for my boil in my all grain brews for the last year or so and never had a problem beyond having an extra pot to clean. Just make sure you split your hop additions between the two pots. Hopefully i'll be getting a burner after thanksgiving this year so

My GE 7.0 cu.ft. Keezer Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-h...-build-327739/

Quick Reply