Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginner extract brewing howto

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #81
Vol_Nation_Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm brand-new at this: How do I carbonate my beer? I have a Mr. Beer-type kit and my process is thus: Mix ingredients and let it ferment for 4 days with 10-15 added psi from attached CO2-dispenser, place in fridge and let ferment for another 8 days with 5-10 psi from CO2-dispenser, take out of fridge and dispense beer into growler, add carb tabs (5 per 12 oz, as per instructions), cap and let sit outside of fridge for 7 days. My beer tastes good, but it's completely flat. I don't have a bottling hose or siphon, so I think that might be the issue, but I'm not sure. What am I doing wrong here? Don't assume I'm doing anything that I haven't explicitly detailed above. Any help is appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #82
bchurch
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts

Wait longer plan on 3 weeks

Old 02-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #83
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Also, this is a thread on generic howto on brewing an extract kit, the specifics around a Mr Beer can be found in other threads that discuss Mr Beer specifically, do a thread search and there will be loads of information on them. I know next to nothing about a Mr Beer, I've never used one.

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!
MarsingRedneck Likes This 
Old 02-09-2013, 03:18 AM   #84
MSU_BREW
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Homebrewing Guide For Beginners

Hello everyone, I'm new to Homebrewing an to HBT. I just did my first brew day last week and I'm loving this great hobby already. I came here from reddit.com/r/homebrewing. We had a lot of beginners like myself asking questions on the basics of homebrewing with extract so I put together an album here: Homebrewing for Beginners.

Hope you find it useful if you have made it 15 pages into this thread!

Old 02-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #85
Capn_Bill

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSU_BREW View Post
Hello everyone, I'm new to Homebrewing an to HBT. I just did my first brew day last week and I'm loving this great hobby already. I came here from reddit.com/r/homebrewing. We had a lot of beginners like myself asking questions on the basics of homebrewing with extract so I put together an album here: Homebrewing for Beginners.

Very nice write-up! The only thing I would add is to have a water spray bottle handy when your wort first comes to a boil - it's great for knocking down foam and preventing boilovers! Also, the pitching and fermenting temps will be yeast dependent - 75F could be too warm for some strains. Fermenting temps are as important as all the other steps.

Primary:
Secondary: Broken Hose Breakfast Stout, Broken Hose Smoked Bourbon Barrel Porter
Bottled: Houblonmonstre IPA
Kegged:

On Deck: TBD

Old 02-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #86
MSU_BREW
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn_Bill View Post
Very nice write-up! The only thing I would add is to have a water spray bottle handy when your wort first comes to a boil - it's great for knocking down foam and preventing boilovers! Also, the pitching and fermenting temps will be yeast dependent - 75F could be too warm for some strains. Fermenting temps are as important as all the other steps.
Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll update it this weekend if I'm not brewing!

Old 02-16-2013, 04:30 AM   #87
JohnRoss
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSU_BREW View Post
...We had a lot of beginners like myself asking questions on the basics of homebrewing with extract so I put together an album here: Homebrewing for Beginners.l I
No doubt someone will benefit from your project, thank you for your hard work putting it together. I only wish that you had not show cased Northern and Midwest. They are both fine companies. I have done Internet business with both of them.

My thought is that if a new brewer is able to do a search and find homebrewtalk.com on their own, they should also be able to find equipment and supplies on their own. If they haven't already.

JW

Beer. It's not just for breakfast any more.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #88
Tehan
Recipes 

Why should you not get oxygen in the priming mixture? won't the yeast just use it up during conditioning?

Old 03-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #89
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Oxygen post fermentation, causes oxidation and off flavors. Even though new fermentation is about to happen, it is only enought to carb the beer, and your yeast is already a massive colony post ferment.

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 07-12-2013, 05:28 AM   #90
Dylan42
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFugglz View Post
7) When you get new equipment, do a test run with it before you use it for real. For example, I picked up a pump and a plate chiller. I practiced moving water around before I used it in a brew session.
So important I got a hand me down corny keg and failed to test it with co2 before putting beer in it and low and behold there was a pin hole in it that showed up after 30 psi of pressure...beer ruined.

Quick Reply