Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginner extract brewing howto

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #71
Lordthadicus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Ha ha barm. I think it might turn people off to trying my beer if they find out I used scum in my beer. But then they will drink less, more for me....ok love that word thx.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #72
CarnieBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Couldn't this sticky be updated to discuss, and encourage, late extract addition? I think point 4 is a little confusing.

4. Bring the water to a boil. Remove the boiling water from the stove, to avoid a boilover. Mix the malt extract into boiling water slowly and mix well (if you don't mix well you can get scorching of the extracts). Put back on heat and boil for the designated time (usually 60 minutes), watch closely to avoid a boilover so as to avoid a sticky mess. Also at this time add the bittering hops at the start of the boil w/ the malt(s).

Could be:

4. Bring the water to a boil. Once boiling turn off the heat. Add enough malt extract to bring your boil gravity up to 1.040 (4oz DME or 4.5oz LME per quart of water). Mix very well (if you don't you can get scorching of the extracts). Put heat back on and bring back to the boil. Once the boil begins add the bittering hops, and start your boil timer (usually 60 minutes).

Old 01-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #73
SwampApe
Recipes 

I need a recipe that incorporates the use of pine, cinnamon, clove, and an excessive amount of hops.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:50 AM   #74
Vuarra
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampApe View Post
I need a recipe that incorporates the use of pine, cinnamon, clove, and an excessive amount of hops.
I simply must ask... why?

Fermenting: Real Ale, Extract Lager (with WLP830), India Pale Ale

Conditioning: Nothing

Drinking: Pale Ale from the keg

Old 01-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #75
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnieBrew View Post
Couldn't this sticky be updated to discuss, and encourage, late extract addition? I think point 4 is a little confusing.

4. Bring the water to a boil. Remove the boiling water from the stove, to avoid a boilover. Mix the malt extract into boiling water slowly and mix well (if you don't mix well you can get scorching of the extracts). Put back on heat and boil for the designated time (usually 60 minutes), watch closely to avoid a boilover so as to avoid a sticky mess. Also at this time add the bittering hops at the start of the boil w/ the malt(s).

Could be:

4. Bring the water to a boil. Once boiling turn off the heat. Add enough malt extract to bring your boil gravity up to 1.040 (4oz DME or 4.5oz LME per quart of water). Mix very well (if you don't you can get scorching of the extracts). Put heat back on and bring back to the boil. Once the boil begins add the bittering hops, and start your boil timer (usually 60 minutes).
Not sure I understand the distinction. Why is it confusing? You can and should boil the extract for the whole hour, why add some at the end. Maybe its a technique/process I've not heard of, but when I was doing extract I always boiled the entire amount of DME/LME for the whole hour. Maybe I'm misunderstanding?
Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #76
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampApe View Post
I think you should post to threads about recipe creation, not those about how to do the basics of brewing. There are lots of people that will answer there, whereas a sticky like this gets a bit less activity.
Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #77
daveb1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 13

Are you trying to get someone to "quit" drinking your beer? LOL

Old 01-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #78
CarnieBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeiisneaks View Post
Not sure I understand the distinction. Why is it confusing? You can and should boil the extract for the whole hour, why add some at the end. Maybe its a technique/process I've not heard of, but when I was doing extract I always boiled the entire amount of DME/LME for the whole hour. Maybe I'm misunderstanding?
You've never heard of late extract addition? It's pretty much the default method of brewing with extract these days, as people have realised that adding all your DME/LME at the start of the boil, especially when only doing a partial boil, means significant changes to hop additions to adjust for the high boil gravity....and further darkening of the end beer.

Why "should" you boil the extract for the whole hour? There isn't a reason...if you're concerned about bacteria that problem can be solved by boiling it for less than a minute.

For more info, read here: http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/02/20/better-beer-with-late-malt-extract-additions/

I think this sticky would benefit from the update.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #79
dfc
Audio Engineer/Instructor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeiisneaks View Post
I always did a late boil extract addition so the color of my beer was closer to the style it was supposed to be. If you boil all of the malt extract for the entire boil you caramelize it and the beer gets darker. Boiling some late in the boil leads to less caramelization and a lighter colored beer.

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 01-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #80
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?

Recipes 

Oh okay, didn't know about that. But to be fair, I've been all grain for about 3 or so years, I did my last batch of extract maybe a few months after I wrote the sticky, I'll clarify a touch, let me know if you think it makes sense.

CarnieBrew Likes This 

Quick Reply