Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginner extract brewing howto

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 01:48 AM   #61
daveb1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 13

Default Brewed a batch a little different today

Went to a local shop and picked up ingredients for an Oktoberfest beer. Not new to brewing, but was told to only cook (full boil) extract for a total of 30 minutes. This was after grains steeped for 30 minutes... Slightly concerned that I only went 30 minutes instead of the normal 60.....
Whatcha think?

Thanks Dave

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #62
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb1 View Post
Went to a local shop and picked up ingredients for an Oktoberfest beer. Not new to brewing, but was told to only cook (full boil) extract for a total of 30 minutes. This was after grains steeped for 30 minutes... Slightly concerned that I only went 30 minutes instead of the normal 60.....
Whatcha think?

Thanks Dave
what's the hop profile on that sucker? if it's really low then that's not a big deal , the 60 minute boil is more for the hops than anything else. most of us add the extract a few minutes before flame out

Old 01-07-2013, 03:33 AM   #63
daveb1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 13

1 oz Tettnang @ beginning, 1 oz Tettnang @ 15 minutes into it and 1 oz Perle@ end/

Thanks for the reply Wormraper!

Old 01-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #64
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1852 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

At 30 minuts,you'll get a little bittering,but not much. 60,20,& 5 would've been better.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #65
dfc
Audio Engineer/Instructor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyg View Post
Thanks to all the contributors. This site has been invaluable in planning my first brew.

Regarding primary vs secondary fermenters, I was planning to use the bucket with lock for primary (10 days or so I think) and then transfer to the glass carboy with lock for secondary. Is there any disadvantage to this? Also, I read a lot of people saying they just shook their carboy before pitching for aeration. Can I shake up my wort in the bucket in the same manner?

btw, I'm going to be brewing from an extract kit using some specialty grains and dry yeast. Thanks in advance!
Check the beginner extract brewing link in my sig. There's a quick and easy method of aerating that I use and it may be helpful to you.

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 01-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #66
Lordthadicus
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Obviously new here and I had no idea you had to let your yeast soak for 15 minutes so I just pitched my yeast, that's a crappy term IMHO because you can pitch it when it's wet, but anyway is my beer going to be sh!t now because of this? It's my first batch rather hope it will be ok.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #67
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1852 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Pitching the yeast dry wil just have more lag time before visual fermentation begins. Rehydrating it gets them ready for the reproductive phase more quickly. They reproduce in suficient quantities for visual fermentation. That's the lag time referred to.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #68
Lordthadicus
Recipes 

Awesome thank you was a little worried. My brew was percolating nicely the next day, I got to bottle last night. Had about 3/4 of a bottle I had to drink, other then flat a warm it was amazing. I can't wait for it to mature in the bottle. I can tell it's going to be an amazing beer.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #69
RagingBull
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordthadicus View Post
Obviously new here and I had no idea you had to let your yeast soak for 15 minutes so I just pitched my yeast, that's a crappy term IMHO because you can pitch it when it's wet, but anyway is my beer going to be sh!t now because of this? It's my first batch rather hope it will be ok.
You will be ok, I've even forgot to stir the wort to aerate a few times and pitched the yeast and it still came out fine. Maybe a little slow to start but one thing I've learned about yeast is for the most part if it's healthy it's hungrya and if it's hungry it will find food and doesn't need much supervision.

Carbonating/Conditioning:Chocolate Porter, Old Devil Nut Brown Ale, Cape Fear Pale Ale Classic American Light1776 Lager
Fermenting: Diablo IPA, Black Forest Stout, Hellfire Red Ale
On Deck: Bewitched Amber Ale

Old 01-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #70
kingofmalkier
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordthadicus View Post
You can also use the word "barm" if you want. It's real!

Quick Reply