The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginner extract brewing howto

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #31
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here, I searched for you. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/how-...g-sugar-77700/

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!
Ace_Club Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 05:48 AM   #32
Stankonia
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

When priming the beer to bottle, does it really make a difference between using DME or corn sugar? Would use DME add to the flavor, mouthful, aroma, etc at all?

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #33
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankonia View Post
When priming the beer to bottle, does it really make a difference between using DME or corn sugar? Would use DME add to the flavor, mouthful, aroma, etc at all?

Thanks!
Sugar is sugar, but dme, I think, is a bit harder/slower to ferment, thus why corn sugar is used for a bit quicker carb, I believe.
Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!
Ace_Club Likes This 
Old 03-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #34
dfc
Audio Engineer/Instructor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 121

pompeii, since you want to keep this simple I think I may be able to help. If I'm overstepping my bounds just let me know and I'll delete the post, but I did a basic pictorial thread about brewing extract and I also made a video out of it. The video is more basic than the thread.

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

People Like This 
Old 03-25-2011, 12:58 AM   #35
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc
pompeii, since you want to keep this simple I think I may be able to help. If I'm overstepping my bounds just let me know and I'll delete the post, but I did a basic pictorial thread about brewing extract and I also made a video out of it. The video is more basic than the thread.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pud_dA_qw6o
Oh no by all means the more information we have here the better this resource is for everyone
Ace_Club Likes This 
Old 03-25-2011, 09:54 AM   #36
dfc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sweet. Glad I could help then.

Simple bottling process

Ace_Club Likes This 
Old 03-26-2011, 05:54 AM   #37
Stankonia
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Sweet. Glad I could help then.
Awesome video man! Gets me excited to start my very 1st batch in about 3-4 weeks once school is over for 4 months
Old 03-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #38
dfc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankonia View Post
Awesome video man! Gets me excited to start my very 1st batch in about 3-4 weeks once school is over for 4 months
Thanks. Like I stated when I posted it, the video has simplified instructions. I went into more detail in the thread, so if you want to delve deeper into it just read the thread. The pictures are included in the thread as well.

Simple bottling process

Ace_Club Likes This 
Old 04-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #39
jaycount
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle6286 View Post
Hi everyone,

I just made my first batch last night using the starter kit from Midwest Supplies. After cooling my wort and adding the yeast, I transfered it to the 6.5 gallon plastic fermenter with an airlock. It's been about 12 hours and I'm seeing some bubbles in the airlock so it looks like it's fermenting. My question is, the kit also came with a 6.5 gallon bottling bucket with a spigot. When do I transfer my beer to the bottling bucket? I do know that when the time comes, I have to siphon it and add the priming sugar. Also, once my beer is transfered to the bottling bucket, do I let it sit for a longer period of time or do I immediately bottle the beer? Thanks for any help.
You'll want to move to the bottling bucket and bottle in approx 3 weeks. I would wait 2.5 weeks then take a hydrometer sample, record the reading. Wait another 3 days and take another reading. If it's stable (and somewhat near the predicted final gravity), then you can bottle.

Exactly how long you leave it in the primary is very dependent on OG and style so do some searching specific to your recipe, but I would ALWAYS leave it in the primary for a minimum of 2 weeks, more is better.

Once you rack it to the bottling bucket (and add in the priming sugar solution), you'll want to bottle it immediately. Be careful when racking and try to minimize racking over any trub that'll be caked to the bottom.

AND CONGRATS it sounds like your first batch is coming along quite fine. In about 5 weeks you'll have some delicious beer bottled, conditioned, and ready to share
Old 04-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #40
jaycount
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
First off congrats on the first batch,

The rule I follow is when the airlock is bubbling once every 2 minutes or so it's time to transfer. Once you mix in the priming sugar, you should bottle right away. Make sure to minimize the contact with air, so keep the siphon discharge end submerged when going to the bottling bucket and into the bottles. Bottling wands are great for this and relatively cheap. Leave as little air in the bottles as possible too, I made the mistake my first time trying to make too many bottles and it cost me.
Transfer to the bottling bucket while the airlock is bubbling once every couple minutes? I would really recommend against this. Bottling while there is still active fermentation is a recipe for bottle bombs

Some folks use that rule to transfer to the secondary (if they're using a secondary)

Quick Reply