Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginner extract brewing howto

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2010, 12:51 AM   #11
Senneffe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDogBrewing View Post
I don't know that it would burn, but I tie the drawstring cord around the pot handle to never let it touch the bottom.
I just did my first batch and had a slotted spoon on hand to mix it as needed.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #12
BigJefe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was reading "how to brew" by Palmer and saw that he mentions both adding the extract to boiling water, and also disolving the extract in cold water and then bring to a boil...

Is there any difference between to two methods? (I use purified/bottled water)

Old 05-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #13
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Either works, you could possibly scorch the extract in the boiling water, but that's why you'd pull it off the heat for a minute while adding. Adding to cold water would work but is much harder to avoid clumping etc. The hot water dissolves the dry or liquid extract much more rapidly/readily.

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!
Ace_Club Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #14
tieflyer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

ok, do I steep the grains over low heat to keep it at 160 or do I leave it off the stove to steep and hope it stays at the correct temp?

Old 05-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4621 Times on 3355 Posts
Likes Given: 905

Quote:
Originally Posted by tieflyer View Post
ok, do I steep the grains over low heat to keep it at 160 or do I leave it off the stove to steep and hope it stays at the correct temp?
You can turn off the burner, and cover the pot, and it should stay between 150-160 degrees for the entire steep. You don't want to go over that temperature.
Ace_Club Likes This 
Old 06-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #16
BeerJorge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Here's post with more detailed home brewing instructions.

Just remember that they are general and different styles will require different techniques like boiling a high gravity wort vs a full 5 gallon boil, etc.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #17
Whippy
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 109

When adding the conditioning sugar solution for bottling, should it be cooled before adding to the bottling bucket as you would cool your wort prior to adding to the fermenter?

Old 09-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #18
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
When adding the conditioning sugar solution for bottling, should it be cooled before adding to the bottling bucket as you would cool your wort prior to adding to the fermenter?
It really doesn't matter. People have argued about it incessantly forever, but it doesnt really matter. Remember that couple cups of boiling liquid is going to be falling through space into your bottling bucket which SHOULD have a bit of sanitizer still in the bottom, that combination alone is going to rapidly cool the priming solution, then immediately 5 gallons of room temp liquid is going to be dumped on top of that. It isn't going to be hot for too long anyway.

You can also begin the flow of beer into the bucket and dump your priming solution onto that which will cool the little bit of solution.

Or you can wait 5 or 10 minutes before racking it in, I have it worked into my bottling process (as outlined here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bott...ebrewer-94812/) where it sits on my stove for about 5-10 minutes while I sanitize the last half of my bottles.

But really it doesn't matter.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Ace_Club Likes This 
Old 09-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #19
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
It really doesn't matter. People have argued about it incessantly forever, but it doesnt really matter. Remember that couple cups of boiling liquid is going to be falling through space into your bottling bucket which SHOULD have a bit of sanitizer still in the bottom, that combination alone is going to rapidly cool the priming solution, then immediately 5 gallons of room temp liquid is going to be dumped on top of that. It isn't going to be hot for too long anyway.

You can also begin the flow of beer into the bucket and dump your priming solution onto that which will cool the little bit of solution.

Or you can wait 5 or 10 minutes before racking it in, I have it worked into my bottling process (as outlined here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bott...ebrewer-94812/) where it sits on my stove for about 5-10 minutes while I sanitize the last half of my bottles.

But really it doesn't matter.
I agree w revvy, do it a way that feels best to you, and if it works don't fix it. When I used to bottle, I'd cool it down. But that's just me.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #20
Time-Travelers
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Ideal temp?

What would you say is the ideal temperature range during fermentation and also for bottle conditioning? I understand stability is also key. The instructions that came with my kit (Oatmeal Stout) does not reference fermentation and say 'room temperature' after bottling...

Thank you

Quick Reply