The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginner extract brewing howto

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2014, 12:57 AM   #121
trapanesed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hey guys I'm new to the brewing scene and need some advice. To begin with, I'm brewing my first IPA extract kit. I forgot to take and initial specific gravity reading, and I do not know what the ending specific gravity should be. The kit says let it ferment for two weeks; however, my temp is a little low (64 degrees) and I'm wondering if I should leave it in longer. Also, I noticed that my secondary carboy does not have an airlock. Should I put an airlock on it during the dry hop phase. Sorry for the huge question. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #122
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

64F is fine for most ale yeasts. But Cooper's starts getting slughish at 64 or less. Look for an FG of around 1.010 to 1.012. You also don't need to secondary in order to dry hop. Many of us do it in primary. Either way,wait for the beer to get down to a stable FG first & setle out clear or slightly misty before 1 week dry hop.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #123
trapanesed
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
64F is fine for most ale yeasts. But Cooper's starts getting slughish at 64 or less. Look for an FG of around 1.010 to 1.012. You also don't need to secondary in order to dry hop. Many of us do it in primary. Either way,wait for the beer to get down to a stable FG first & setle out clear or slightly misty before 1 week dry hop.

Thanks for the response. Why did my kit come with a glass carboy. What's the benefit of fermenting in glass carboy? Is it used for another purpose?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Old 03-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #124
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

It depends on what size it is. A 5 gallonone would be for secondary. A 6 or 6.5 gallon one would be for primary.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:09 AM   #125
Dood44
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hi there I'm new to the forums and brewing, other than a mr.beer kit but I've wanted to kick it up a notch. I've picked up some Coopers Canadian Blonde extract and I just have a few questions. I'm going to use a 6.5 gallon pail with an airlock for my fermenter and I'm wondering if that is even large enough to contain all the krausen or will I need a blow off for. If that is the case would I be able to only fill it up to around the 5 gallon mark for more room or would it alter the taste too much. A higher abv is fine I'm shooting for a 5-6% beer anyways.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #126
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I also use a 6-1/2 gal bucket fermenter and fill to five gallons. No blow-off tube, but I leave the lid loose with a 1-pound weight on top for the first five days just in case. Never had the kraeusen overflow. The beer (not ambient) temperature is controlled at low to mid 60's - I feel that helps prevent an over-active fermentation.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #127
dkevinb
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood44 View Post
Hi there I'm new to the forums and brewing, other than a mr.beer kit but I've wanted to kick it up a notch. I've picked up some Coopers Canadian Blonde extract and I just have a few questions. I'm going to use a 6.5 gallon pail with an airlock for my fermenter and I'm wondering if that is even large enough to contain all the krausen or will I need a blow off for. If that is the case would I be able to only fill it up to around the 5 gallon mark for more room or would it alter the taste too much. A higher abv is fine I'm shooting for a 5-6% beer anyways.
Typically you do only fill the buckets up to the 5 gallon level to allow plenty of room for the krausen. Most typical beer kits and recipes are designed for these 5 gallon batches.

I just bought a new one last night:

The green line right above the South Bay label is the 5 gallon mark. You can see there's several inches of headroom, so you should be fine. These lids have a rubber O-ring to seal tightly, and a hole with a grommet for the airlock.

Kevin B.

Fermenting: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone

Bottled: English Mild, Mandarin orange mead

Dood44 Likes This 
Old 03-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #128
Dood44
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the replies ill stop living in fear of a for sure blow out but ill still keep an eye on it. Lol I just don't want to lose any. Ill have to post back with the results of this brew and hopefully many others. What's better than a hobby that produces beer!

Old 03-07-2014, 12:07 AM   #129
bberg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by haugenlee View Post
I am in the market to get started with some brewing. I am just trying to put together a little setup for some 5 gal extract batches. I am at the point where a brew kettle and a bigger primary are all I am searching for.
I've come to an interesting point in looking into the primary container. The standard considerations, of course, but I also just found another option. I want to hear what anyone else might think about it.
33qt Air Tight Container

I guess, my issue is with paying $15+ for a plastic pail because they can call it a fermenter instead of a bucket. This doesn't save money, but it is bigger (33qt, little more than 8 gal - should never need blow off with an airlock installed for a 5 gal batch, right?) and adds that touch of convenience with the wheels.
I am still trying to track down what kind of plastic it is. I don't expect that to be an issue though. Anyone come up with any reasons this would be a stupid idea?

Once I bite the bullet on paying more for a bit of plastic than I would like to, and track down an older relative looking to exchange a large kettle for my company and raking some snow off of the roof, I will be set to try this out.
I'm still pretty new... Couldn't all that extra head space cause an issue?

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beer Holder

Old 03-07-2014, 02:15 AM   #130
dkevinb
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood44 View Post
Thanks for the replies ill stop living in fear of a for sure blow out but ill still keep an eye on it. Lol I just don't want to lose any. Ill have to post back with the results of this brew and hopefully many others. What's better than a hobby that produces beer!
Ironically I just had my first blow-off this week - from my Mr. Beer LBK. I tried a new recipe with yeast I hadn't used before, did a full boil, and tried to jam just a little bit more into the LBK than I should have. Fortunately I was nervous enough about it that I put it in the spare bathroom shower. When I checked it the next morning a little had dribbled out the vents.

Kevin B.

Kevin B.

Fermenting: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone

Bottled: English Mild, Mandarin orange mead

Quick Reply