Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > beginner error

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
mtausch11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default beginner error

I bottled a beer two weeks ago and when I did, I forgot to let the sugar solution cool down when I added it to the beer for bottling. I guarantee I killed a bunch of yeast with the high temperature water, but hopefully there is still enough to carbonate the beer. Has anyone else had issues or done this before? I tried one after a week and it was completely flat which I should expect after 1 week.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2262 Times on 1970 Posts
Likes Given: 1698

I always thought that would kill a certain percentage of the yeast myself. So I let it cool down to where it's just warm. Others just dump it straight in. It might be ok in 3-4 weeks. Just keep the bottles nice & warm.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Yes, it should be mostly flat, with maybe just a trace of carbonation if you chill one for 48 hours at one week old. They need another two weeks or so to completely carbonate up.

As to the simple syrup temperature, I think you did fine. Typically, i'll make a 2 cup water to 1 cup dextrose simple syrup, boil it and dissolve in the sugar and pour it directly into the bottling bucket after it's been boiled for a few minutes.

I rack directly onto the simple syrup without letting it cool down, and there's really never any harm done. I think your beer will turn out fine if you keep it warm ( in the 70's f.) and in the dark.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
Gduck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your sugar solution should be a much smaller volume than the beer it was added to so while it may have killed some yeast their is a large enough volume that plenty of yeast should still be in there.

My basement(where I store bottles) is a little on the cold side so it's generally 2-3 weeks before I see some carbonation when I open the bottles. It's generally about 4 weeks before they reach acceptable carbonation levels.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2262 Times on 1970 Posts
Likes Given: 1698

I keep my boxed bottles of young beer in the master bedroom. Nice & warm in there. PM ales still take about 4 weeks in there,then at least a week in the fridge to get well carbed. When my current batch was 11 days old,I was out of beer,so I drank three bottles (had 51). They'd been in the 14F garage for a couple hours as well. When I went to pour them,the head/carbonation looked like it came out of a nitro tap or something. Never saw that before in my homebrew!...

Old 01-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
mtausch11
Recipes 

Glad to know I'm not alone. That's what this forum is all about I guess. Thanks for all your input.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Should be plenty of yeast alive to carbonate your bottles. You'd have had to add around a half gallon of boiling water to even hit 80 degrees (assuming the beer started at 68), and the yeast will survive a little above that. At least, it seems like you'll still be okay. Either way you'll find out for sure in a couple weeks. Kyle

You guys are fast- when I started typing there were no replies!

Old 01-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 348 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Even if those two cups of sugar water were boiling, you did little damage. Relax.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #9
mcwilcr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I never bother cooling the priming sugar solution. You are only talking about a cup of hot water in 5 gallons of cool beer. Sure, you are going to kill some yeast but only a very small portion of what is living on the beer and not enough that I have ever noticed a problem with it. 1 week in the bottle is not enough time to really make any kind of prediction about carbonation in the finished beer. Even if you had produced a significant amount of co2 I'm the head space there had not been sufficient time for it to dissolve back into the solution.

Quick Reply