Beginner and equipment list

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bricollins15

Reaction score
Hey there, I am new to brewing and I'm in the process of making a list of equipment that I need. Here is what I have so far:

-Ceramic or steel boiling pot (5 gal)
-2 Fermentor with airlocks (6-7 gal)
-Siphon with bottle filler
-Large stirring spoon (non wooden)
-Bottle brush
-Thermometer
-Hydrometer

Is there anything I should include or possibly leave out? Any suggestions/hints would be great! Thanks, and cheers :mug:

A ceramic boiling pot doesn't seem like a great idea. You really only need one fermentor, unless you want to use a second one as a bright tank or something. Beyond that, you just need bottles and ingredients to get started.

A second fermentor is nice if you want to have two batches fermenting at a time. If you do that you might want a bottling bucket. Get some Star San and a bottle capper. And welcome!

+ 1 on no ceramic boiling pot. That doesn't sound like a good idea at all. I would reccomend to go ahead and get a 8+ gallon pot so you can switch to all grain easily when and if you want to . The cheapest way to get one here is buy a turkey fryer from Sam's club and it comes with a 9 gallon pot for ~ $50. If you don't wanter the burner portion just sell it on craigslist for $30 and you get a 9 gallon pot for $20. :rockin:

Thanks for all the replys! And ya I was going for a steel pot but I saw someone suggest that one so I thought I would post it. And for money reasons I'll probably drop the other bucket since its not really needed. Is there anything I should add to the list for equipmment wise?

Back