Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginner Dry Hopping Mistake!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
Jeffries55
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Default Beginner Dry Hopping Mistake!

Ok, so I made two five gallon batches of beer over the weekend (one hefeweissen, the other an IPA, my second and third batches ever). This is my second time doing the IPA recipe, but this time I decided to dry hop in the primary fermenter. I don't plan on doing a secondary at the time, so with that aside, I've done a little reading after pitching the yeast and realized I made a rookie mistake!

I added 2 oz of centennial and 1 oz of chinook right after i pitched the yeast... it appears most (or all) of the aroma will be gone, will the flavor be too? Do I run the risk now of getting grassy flavors from the hops if it takes more than 10 days to ferment? Has anyone else made the same mistake, and if so, how did your beer turn out? I am contemplating adding more of the same hops after the kraussen falls back down.

Should I be worried that this will ruin my beer (it was very tasty last time!), or just note the correct way to do it and brew it again soon!?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2300 Times on 2002 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

I've never made this mistake,so I'm not sure you'll get grassy notes. but,on the other hand,when the yeast starts to settle,the hop oils coating them go to the bottom too. So that might save you with the grassy notes. Nothing to do now but wait & see if it at least ferments out to FG range.

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 05-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
MotorcycleMatt
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Ferment it out and rack it to a secondary and dry hop again. I accidentally let an ipa go for 3-4 weeks on a dry hop and had zero grassy flavors. You will be fine

Old 05-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 368 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 171

If the hops are in a bag then you can pull them out in about 7 days - after fermentation. If they are not then transfer to a secondary in 10 days or so. I doubt it will take more than 10 days to ferment, but it might.

You shouldn't lose everything the hops will impart, just some of it. It will still have an impact on both aroma and flavor, just not as much and slightly different (not in a bad way). After transferring to secondary, you should hit it with more dry hops and you should get a really nice IPA that way. Most people don't put hops in for the fermentation because it's looked at as being kind of wasteful, but it's not a bad thing (with the exception of leaving your beer on them for too long).

Old 05-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2300 Times on 2002 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

It's bad because the hop oils coat the yeast cells. so when the yeasties go dormant & settle out,the hop oils coating them go to the bottom too.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Jeffries55
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 235

I pitched the hop pellets right into the wort; I don't have any more fermenters (or centennial/chinook hops), and the brew store is 25 miles away, so i think i'll ride this one out all the way through fermentation and strain the hops out when i empty it into the bottling bucket.

@StPug, it's good to know it shouldn't completely ruin my beer! As I am fairly new to brewing, i'll be quite happy if it turns out as good as my first batch! I've already improved my efficiency quite a bit from the first brew, using a proper mash tun & sparge; The OG was 10 points higher this time, it sucks that it takes a month before you can drink it!

Old 05-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
MotorcycleMatt
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Don't strain them out, you run the risk of oxidation if you do that. Just let them settle out and rack above them. Plenty of people have hops go into their primary from the boil kettle so its nothing to worry about

Old 05-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
mewithstewpid
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 164

if you can dry hop it again. I regularly do two (or three!) dry hops, the first one being about 2-3 days after fermentation begins. I throw them right in there on top of the krausen. Dry hopping during this stage will give you different flavor and aroms than dry hopping post-fermentation, which is why i like to do both!

Old 05-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
DPBISME
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I would not worry about it.

Yes you will lose some hop oils but not all of it will bleed away and you never know it might work out great.

Instead of worring about it get ready to brew your next batch and do it the way you originally planned.

I asked a local brew master here about how long I should leave my hop in and he said 3 to 10 days or more than 30.

It was his opinon that most of the benifit was in the first 10 days and to get more out of them it took over 30 days.

DPB

Old 05-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
YtBoI
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Don't worry about it.

You'll lose some of the hop oils but it might still taste good.

I did that the first time I made my IIPA and it came out fantastic! Then the next time I dry hopped after fermentation and it wasnt as good. So you never know.

Let me know how it turns out.

Quick Reply