Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > As a beginner do you feel your beer is not as good?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
dfc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default As a beginner do you feel your beer is not as good?

As a beginner, do you feel your beer isn't as good as other beer (commercial) that you drink? I've done 8 batches so far and they've all been extract. I plan on upgrading to AG, but while most of my beer is good and some of it is great I still feel that there are higher quality brews out there.

I learn more with every batch I do, but if I weren't a persistent person this would most likely discourage me. I may be overly critical because it's my own stuff and other people have told me it's great, but my beer isn't good enough to me. Does anyone else share this point of view on their own brews?

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
sociald1077
Recipes 

I feel that my beers are not as good as commercials, but I am only on my 3rd batch. But then again I can barely make rice and I'm brewing drinkable (at least for me) beer.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
dfc

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Haha, fair enough.

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 11-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I think brewers as a whole are more critical of thier own beers.
Keep working on your processes, paying more attention to little things (ie. temps, timing, water, yeast types etc.) and your beer will continue to improve.
Read alot!

Bull

Old 11-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
TBag
Recipes 

I dont know, i think homebrew tastes different to commercial brew, but this taste is neither better nor worse, i think it just different.
More variety for life thats all =]

Old 11-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
TheDom

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'll definitely agree with the idea that brewers are more critical of their beer. Better to strive for continual improvement than rest on your laurels.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
ndsgr
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Join a good homebrew club. There were at least 5 beers at my last one that were easily better than any commercial I have tasted in the style. Unfortunately, none were mine.

I must say though, I have brewed a couple that I did not feel a need to buy commercial while I still had them on tap. I also got a little emotional when the keg kicked.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #8
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Dude, give yourself a break. You have made eight (8) batches of beer. Commercial brewers do it for a LIVING, and most of them went to school for it, plus have a gazillion years of homebrewing experience before that. Your brews will get better, and more consistent. That is the important thing.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett
joetothemo Likes This 
Old 11-14-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
JBmadtown
Recipes 

I think it depends on what you are comparing yourself to. I have done 7 batches since March.

If you are comparing yourself to a well known and highly recognized commercial beer (Bell's, Stone, New Glarus, etc) then yours probably is not as good. Those brewers needed time to refine their recipe and perfect their process.

However, there are a lot of crappy commericial beers out there also. I have had really good, ok, and "I am about to dump a case" batches. Like others have said, each time I learn something and hopefully improve. If we were perfect the first time it wouldn't be much of a hobby now would it?

My best advice to beginners would be to keep it simple. Learn everything about fermentation and yeast; flavors and aging. Then do your best to make the best beer you can.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #10
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I am with you, a lot of people have told me that my beer is really good, but those people arent real big craft drinkers so I think that they just associate homebrew with that stronger taste (as compared to BMC). I personally can pick out the flaws in my beer. I am about 6-8 batches in, and next week will be my first AG. I have done 2 PMs and have one scheduled for this afternoon. I like to think that each one of my batches has gotten progressively better, especially with better fermentation temp control. That is, IMHO, the single most important factor to improve the brews. So much so that I am building a fermentation/cellaring closet.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Quick Reply