Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > beginner brewer needs list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #11
KuntzBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Flask has a flat bottom so your stirbar doesnt get thrown at high speeds into the glass, which would happen with a convex bottomed container

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 997 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 507

I would say that you need some way to control ferment temps. A tub for a swamp cooler, a ferm chamber, a cold room that maintains a steady temp.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri View Post
If it could be packaged and sold I reckon the thing that would be of most benefit to, NEARLY, ALL beginners is........................

PATIENCE

And, regarding the batch after pitching, a sizable dose of "leave it the fcuk alone"
+20 on patience...

IMO/IME, a 3L flask is a better starting size. Also learn to use the pitching calc sites, like yeastcalc.com, and learn to make stepped starters. If you can't remember the 100g:1L ratio (DME to water) then get it tattooed onto your arm.

Looong handled tongs are also something you should get. Something in the ~18" range. Stainless of course.

Spray bottle to put some Star San solution in. It helps stretch the Star San that way. Also helps to have a bucket you can dedicate to having Star San mixed in. I almost always have some in the bucket. IF I've gone a longer time between batches, or used almost all of the previous batch up and it's more than a few days (a week or more) before my next brew-day, I'll leave the bucket empty. Otherwise, I'll mix up more to have it ready.

HBT membership.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #14
nbrack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

+1 on the Patience post!

A couple items that did not come with my first kit that I really think are useful are an auto siphon and a bottling bucket.

Quick Reply