Beginner brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtallica

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am new to brewing. I have only done one batch since starting out which was moderately successful. I have since moved out of town to a cattle property and the only water source is bore water. I am just wondering if this is ok to use in my brew? Any advice would be great.

Cheers guys.

Bore water is ground water which accumulates in aquifers from seepage of rain and rivers through layers of soil and rock.
A water bore is a way of gaining access to these groundwater sources.
An aquifer is formed through layers of sand
or fractured rock in which the pore spaces or fractures are filled with water. These formations store and transmit ground water which can be accessed by using a water pump.
Some bore water contains chemical and microbiological hazards that are potentially harmful to health. These hazards may occur naturally or be due to contamination.

Found that on the net.

As far as I know it's all run through a **** load of filters out there on the property so it's totally safe to drink etc.

Many of us brew with well, or, bored water. But we also know that water is made up of different levels of ions in different locations of well water. The best way to find out if your water is good as is, or, in need of changing is to get a water test.

Check out the Brew Science form here and you will be on the right track. Good people in there to help.

A lot of city water is only filtered through 3 meters of peat or less charcoal. The only thing that would concern me with well/bore water is how long has it been sitting still after it has been filtered through all that rock/sand. City water has chlorine (etc.) added to help prevent bacteria growth if the water sits still for a time.

You won't be the only one looking for that water, everything alive in the area will also be trying to live on it or in it.

Back