Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginner brew questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #21
nab911
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Alright, I am starting to side with you guys. If Yeast is dry, just pouring it into the fermenter is aeration enough. If Yeast is wet, aerate.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #22
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4284 Times on 3121 Posts
Likes Given: 830

I wouldn't use a bucket for a secondary- it has a way too wide headspace. It doesn't have anything to do with a spigot or not.

Either skip the "secondary" (more properly a bright tank where the beer sits for a time to clear), or use a properly sized carboy. I'd suggest skipping the transfer to the bright tank and just leave the beer in the fermenter for two weeks and until it's clearing, and then bottling. Transferring risks oxidation and infection (due to headspace issues once fermentation ends), so I would recommend not doing that.

Aeration is typically done, even for dry yeast. Is it strictly necessary each and every time? Probably not. But it won't hurt, will probably help, so just do it as a matter of course.

jethro55 Likes This 
Old 01-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #23
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Aeration is typically done, even for dry yeast. Is it strictly necessary each and every time? Probably not. But it won't hurt, will probably help, so just do it as a matter of course.
Thank you Yooper! This was basically my point exactly. It should just be part of the process.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
jethro55 Likes This 
Old 01-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #24
jethro55
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I do think that we are on to something for a general recommendation, but we are not quite there. We are trying to generalize to the point of creating problems that are not anticipated. I watch my 25 YO son brewing in his first few attempts. And when I do that, I can see where the contamination factors (among many other issues) are.

One of the things that I like best about the beginners forum is what we learn through responding with various well-intended recommendations. I have learned every time. Duboman's input here is a great example.

I agree that we do need to be clear on what is necessary and inform on what is of minor importance for special circumstances.

I have thought about a better way to answer the dry yeast aeration question, but it does not involve a blanket requirement for doing something other than pouring the wort into the fermenter and then adding make-up water. Satisfactory aeration comes by default here, is sufficient with exception for high ABV and a faulty dry yeast recipe, and after watching my son is something extra that is more of contamination risk than secondary transfer. ng

BTW, I like secondary transfer as a means of avoiding excessive flatulation.

Civilization begins with Beer !

Primary: nothing in the pipeline at the moment
Secondary: some summer beers are imperative
Bottled: Nut Brown, Listermann's Cream Ale, American Pale Ale, Holiday Ale, HopNog, Honey Malt Cream Ale, Irish Stout, English Brown Ale, BIAB English Ale, India Black Ale, Bengal Juice, BIAB Cherry Wheat on the cherries, Belgian Pale Ale, Island Hefe on Mango, Island Hefe on Apricot (and dang -these are awesome beers)

Next Up: Hop farming

Old 01-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #25
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro55 View Post
I have thought about a better way to answer the dry yeast aeration question, but it does not involve a blanket requirement for doing something other than pouring the wort into the fermenter and then adding make-up water. Satisfactory aeration comes by default here, is sufficient with exception for high ABV and a faulty dry yeast recipe, and after watching my son is something extra that is more of contamination risk than secondary transfer.
Good point. I always aerate (to some degree) incidentally to swirling the wort and top-up water. Since I don't boil the top-up water, either, it hasn't lost its dissolved oxygen like the wort has.

(Er, let's not debate whether I should boil the top-up water or not... )
Old 01-14-2013, 12:38 AM   #26
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJoyce85 View Post
Nothing wrong with drinking the yeast. There are a lot of brews out here where I live that are labeled "Naturtrub" (non-filtered before bottling). Like when you are drinking a Hefeweizen, you leave about and inch of beer in the bottle, swirl it and pour all if that goodness into the glass.
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/b...ast-000288.htm

Nothing wrong with drinking yeast at all.

On top of having a number of health benefits, the high amount of selenium (particularly in Belgian strains of brewer's yeast) is known for benefits in men's health in particular.... if ya know what I mean

About the only drawback of consuming brewer's yeast, at least for me, is bad gas. And I do mean *bad gas* but not everyone has that issue.

Quick Reply