Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginer's Question...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
the_mox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beginer's Question...

Hello all!
I'm brewing my fist batch of beer, but i think i have a problem. I got a recipe kit (one of those brewers best kits, the English Ale one) well I pitched the yeast, put the lid on the container, filled my air lock 1/2 way with water, and nothing is happening (i did this all tuesday night, so 2 days ago (its friday). Now reading the instructions on the back of the yeast packet, it says i should put the yeast in water, then pour it in. I didn't do that because the instructions that came with the kit, just said to sprinkle the contents of the yeast on the beer. could that be my problem? I didnt put the yeast in water first? either way, is there anyway i can fix it? should i just wait it out? should i get another packet of yeast and put it in water first, then poor it in? or should i count it all as lost and start over? thanks guys for the help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
lyacovett
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Chances are it's fermenting. Give it a few more days, then check the gravity. If there is no change, then you can pitch some more yeast. Sprinkling the yeast without rehydrating is fine. All is definitely not lost, just wait, it'll all be fine.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
Dave258
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Are you using a bucket or carboy? If you are using a bucket, maybe the lid isn't on tight. If air is leaking somewhere, you will not have bubbles in the airlock.
Also, there are a ton of threads here that prove that bubbling or not bubbling is no indication of fermenting. Check your hydrometer, that will tell you.

Dave

Blitzkrieg Brewery

Old 10-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
Thumper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Mox,
Read thru this thread. It will give you some valuable insight. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ferm...s-start-43635/

Chisholm Trail Brewery

Old 10-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
bonzombiekitty
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

First, if you're using a bucket, make sure the lid is on tight enough. The only real way to know if fermentation is happening to so take gravity measurements. It can take more than 3 days for fermentation to really get going, so you might want to wait another day or two before checking.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
Brewin06111
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

What temp is the room the beer is located? Temperature is half the battle when it comes to ferementing as planned. Another thing you may want to consider in the future is putting vodka in your airlock instead of water. Wouldn't change it now and chances are you will be fine but vodka kills any bacteria that could try to get into your beer.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
smmcdermott
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem recently and it started bubbling on the third day

+1 to the hydrometer, that is the only sure fire way to tell if it is fermenting

Old 10-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #8
Mantis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Something else to consider is the temp of the wort when you pitched the yeast. If it was too hot when you pitched, it could've killed the yeast. If that was the case, repitching would be all that you needed to do.

Primary: IPA
Primary: Smoked Porter (My first recipe built by me!)
Secondary: Why?
Bottled: Apfelwein, DeathBrewers Franziskaner Dunkel Clone, Brownie Porter, Patersbier, Nut Brown

Old 10-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
the_mox
Recipes 

hey guys, thanks for all the advice! came home from work today and its bubbling like crazy! thanks for calming my nerves down! I really appreciate all the advice. cant wait to get enough knowledge under my belt to return the favor some day!

Quick Reply