Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > BeerSmith 2 Profile

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Bwood1377
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default BeerSmith 2 Profile

Tried posting this in the general beer discussion but got no responses so I'll try here. Just wanted to get opinions on my equipment profile in BeerSmith. I have a 15 Gallon MegaPot and I am currently doing 5 gallon batches. I think I have it setup correctly but just wanted to make sure. I am currently doing extract batches but will be moving to partial mash very shortly. Thanks.

beersmithprofile.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Looks good, your evaporation rate might be too high though I think. I've never seen anyone use higher than 18%. Where did that number come from? With that size pot, might be closer to 12%. If you leave it at 28% you'll end up with a lot more volume after your done boiling than you should.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 01-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 120

I'd recommend setting boil off as a rate per hour not percent (which is actually the way you have it I think). It should be a fixed value depending on the pot surface area, humidity, flame, etc - not a function of how much overall volume is in the pot. Two gallon per hour for that pot seems a little high but maybe not. I boil off about 1.6 gal per hr in my 20gal pot but I know the megapots are kind of wide. Have you tested it?

Old 01-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
Bwood1377
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
Looks good, your evaporation rate might be too high though I think. I've never seen anyone use higher than 18%. Where did that number come from? With that size pot, might be closer to 12%. If you leave it at 28% you'll end up with a lot more volume after your done boiling than you should.
Well I know that the first time I brewed I had about 6 gallons preboil and after everything was done I ended up with about 4 gallons, so the next time I upped it to 6.5 gallons and ended up with 4.5 so with that in mind I figured for the next time I would need about 7 gallons to end up with 5 in the fermenter. Maybe I'm misunderstanding whats its asking for but this is how I came up with that. Thanks.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Bwood1377
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad View Post
I'd recommend setting boil off as a rate per hour not percent (which is actually the way you have it I think). It should be a fixed value depending on the pot surface area, humidity, flame, etc - not a function of how much overall volume is in the pot. Two gallon per hour for that pot seems a little high but maybe not. I boil off about 1.6 gal per hr in my 20gal pot but I know the megapots are kind of wide. Have you tested it?
I have actually tested it but maybe I misunderstood what it was actually asking for because I figured out that I would need about 7 gallons in my pot to have 5 gallons going into my fermenter.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 120

No that looks right then, I'd leave it as is.

Quick Reply