Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beers in Burlington VT

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
BrewRI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Beers in Burlington VT

What be the good microbreweries around there?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hey BrewRI. I've noticed you on here a good bit the past few weeks. I'm going to be transferring to URI next semester and I'll be living in Narragansett, once I get some HB going again we should get together for a few beers.

Anyway, beers in Burlington? There are some great places. VT pub and Brewery is a brew pub just off of Church Street, downtown and they have some good beers. American Flatbread is just down the street from there, dunno if they brew their own but they have awesome local brews on tap (especially Rock Art beers)

Magic hat is in South Burlington, well worth a visit.

If you're going to be heading up the highway (I89) The Alchemist is in Waterbury and from what I've been told they have some fantastic beers. Going the otherway for about 30 minutes off that same exit you can head out towards Rock Art Brewery in Morrisville, he's got some great deals on mix and match cases of growlers and such in the store front. Well worth a visit.

I'm sure others will chime in with places that I'm missing.

Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

Old 12-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3522 Times on 3409 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Baja covered most, but if you're going up I-91 McNeill's is in Brattleboro and Harpoon is in Windsor, both easy to get to off the highway. Zero Gravity is in or near Burlington, IIRC.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shecky View Post
Baja covered most, but if you're going up I-91 McNeill's is in Brattleboro and Harpoon is in Windsor, both easy to get to off the highway. Zero Gravity is in or near Burlington, IIRC.
Excellent point Shecky, I guess it depends what route he takes. Both Harpoon and McNeil's are excellent stops off 91.

If you go 93 to 89 through NH, there are also 2 more places right as you hit the VT border. In West Lebanon, NH there is the 7 Barrel Brewery. Nothing off the handle unique , but decent beer and great sweet potato fries.

If you switch over to 91 right after you cross the NH/VT border and go up a few exits to Norwich there is the Norwich Inn with Jasper Murdock's Alehouse. I've found that is hit or miss there, depending on what they have on tap, sometimes everything tastes the same

Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

Old 12-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
snail
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 5 Posts

Switchback is off of Shelburne Road/Rt 7 on Flynn Ave in Burlington. You could hit a bunch of breweries starting in Burlington, head down Rt 7 to Magic Hat, and head down south and hit some down there.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

BrewRI- PM me if you want a tour of McNeill's.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #7
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 434 Times on 354 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I just did a "beer tour" of VT a few weeks ago and all of the above are great suggestions.

If you're traveling up the west side of Vermont, try the Bobcat Cafe in Bristol... great little unknown place. Good beer (13-14 taps of their own beer if memory serves me correctly).. fantastic food.

Long Trail is actually a nice stop and I wouldn't skip it if you're near by. They have the best wings It hink I've ever had in a restaurant. The "Yaki" wings are tremendous and they usually have a "Brewmaster Edition" beer on tap in addition to their regular line up that is pretty good.

Also.. The Shed in Stowe is worth a stop.

My top two are probably The Alchemist and American Flatbread (Zero Gravity Ales). If you are thinking about hitting American Flatbread, get there the minute it opens or you'll be in line trying to get in for a while.

If you're looking for another place IN Burlington, Three Needs is about two blocks from VT P&B and American Flatbread. It's a bit of a dive, hole-in-the-wall but they have decent taps usually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #8
RogueVassar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Too far from Burlington unless you happen to be driving up the western side of VT but I really like Otter Creek in Middlebury. They have a great organic line called Wolavers as well as a craft beer series that is usually amazing (like Long Trail's mentioned above).

Baja Brewer: The Norwich Inn was sold a couple of years ago and they have the old recipes but a new brewer there and I think that's the cause for the questionable beer. I loved the Whistling Pig there but sometimes it would almost be bad after it switched hands (Trivia: The Norwich Inn was the inspiration for the show Newhart).

Old 12-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
Jaysus
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 79

American Flatbread was one of my favorite stops in my New England BeeRVing tour a fews years back.

Side note: Long Trail just bought Otter Creek.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 434 Times on 354 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Only problem with Otter Creek is they don't have a bar. It is simply a "tasting room" which is really nothng more than a gift shop with a couple of taps.... and I'm pretty sure they only had two taps when I was there a couple of weeks ago. They had their Copper Ale and the O-Fest on tap... both are good but you can get them at any liq store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Quick Reply