Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer won't stop fermenting, take it off the dry hop?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2010, 02:36 AM   #1
patd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer won't stop fermenting, take it off the dry hop?

Follow up to my previous thread - to recap, my IPA was below the target FG for the recipe (target was 1.014 and I was at 1.012) so I moved it to the secondary for the 5-7 day dry hop. The next day it started bubbling again and the gravity started dropping. It's now 11 days in secondary with a lot of hops, and just took a reading and it's still slowly dropping (now at 1.007, was 08 yersterday).

So my question in...should I try and get the hops out of there so it doesn't get too bitter? The hops are all over the place with the fermenting going on, so all I can think to do is put a grain bag over the tip of the siphon, transfer to to the bottling bucket, clean out the secondary, then move it back in. Am i risking too much oxygenation by doing that, should I just accept its going to be a mouth puckering hop bomb and leave it be?

Advice is appreciated

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2010, 02:40 AM   #2
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by patd View Post
Follow up to my previous thread - to recap, my IPA was below the target FG for the recipe (target was 1.014 and I was at 1.012) so I moved it to the secondary for the 5-7 day dry hop. The next day it started bubbling again and the gravity started dropping. It's now 11 days in secondary with a lot of hops, and just took a reading and it's still slowly dropping (now at 1.007, was 08 yersterday).

So my question in...should I try and get the hops out of there so it doesn't get too bitter? The hops are all over the place with the fermenting going on, so all I can think to do is put a grain bag over the tip of the siphon, transfer to to the bottling bucket, clean out the secondary, then move it back in. Am i risking too much oxygenation by doing that, should I just accept its going to be a mouth puckering hop bomb and leave it be?

Advice is appreciated
You shouldn't get any noticeable bitterness from dry hopping even if the beer is still fermenting. Relax and let it do it's thing there's not much you can do now. Worst that happens is you lose a little hop aroma. If it's not hoppy enough when it's finished you can always add a little more dry hops.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 486 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 17

You won't get much bitterness from a dry hop, no matter how long you leave it. What you risk by dry hopping too long is to develop a vegetal flavor from sitting on the hops too long. At least that's what they say. I was in your shoes with my APA and left it on dry hop for an obscene amount of time and I won awards with it.

Was the SG stable before you started to dry hop? If it was, and was at the expected FG, then it started dropping after you started your dry hop, I would worry about the possibility of infection. Probably not, but something to watch for.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 04-10-2010, 02:42 AM   #4
dunleav1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It will be fine.

My guess is this is occuring with whole hops and not pellets?
Sometimes when you dry hop with whole hops you'll get foaming from the CO2 release.
It gets caught up in the hops.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:23 AM   #5
patd
Recipes 

Unfortunately i didn't check for a stable FG, just saw it was below target and shot it over to secondary. Lesson learned.

This was pellets, but a lot of them had been crushed. I initially tried to put them in a hop sock and force them down the neck of the carboy, but it was too much and I gave up after 5 minutes and poured them through a funnel.

Hopefully it's not an infection! I had handled the hop bag a lot trying to cram it down in there, my hands were cleaned and dipped in sanitizer, but I was worried about it once I finally got it all in there.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #6
patd
Recipes 

Update: down to 1.006 today. If nothing else, I'm sure I won't have the "tastes too sweet" issue of my previous brews...there will be no sugar left in there!

Old 04-11-2010, 11:56 PM   #7
Hex
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I wonder how accurate are hydrometer readings?

If you are taking a sample off the top, will the gravity reading be different than a sample off the bottom of a carboy?

Old 04-12-2010, 12:29 AM   #8
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Hey patd, guess what!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/beer...6/#post2000000

#post2000000

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 04-12-2010, 12:49 AM   #9
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 486 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
Where're you getting that? According the the main page we're at "Posts: 1,960,164".

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 04-12-2010, 01:01 AM   #10
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Where're you getting that? According the the main page we're at "Posts: 1,960,164".
Eh just going off the post number (permalink), didn't know there was a number on the main page

The direct link to the above post is
Code:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/beer-wont-stop-fermenting-take-off-dry-hop-172626/#post2000000
Which you can see shows #Post2000000

P.S. Sorry to threadjack, back to beer!

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Quick Reply