Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > The beer won't carbonate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 02:08 AM   #1
CaptZav
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default The beer won't carbonate

It's been 3 weeks since I bottled this http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/easy...e-clone-73965/

To carbonate, I used carbonation drops, 5 in each bottle (instructions said 5 for high carbonation) and when I opened one of these beers up, it was totally flat. I thought maybe it was a fluke, ended up opening up another two beers, both flat as well.

I am debating on what to do now, my thought was to pour all the beer back into the bottling bucket, add another back of yeast, wait 3 days, add priming sugar and rebottle. I wanted to wait 3 days, because if the yeast is dead, and that is why it is not carbonating, I don't want excess sugar in each bottle making beer bombs.

Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2010, 02:13 AM   #2
MikeinAK
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What temp are you carbonating at?

Old 04-22-2010, 02:14 AM   #3
CaptZav
Recipes 

about 70 degrees

Old 04-22-2010, 02:16 AM   #4
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Do you see a layer of yeast in the bottom of the bottle? Are you using the Coopers carbonation drops and what size bottle are you using?

Old 04-22-2010, 02:16 AM   #5
CiscoKid
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hard to tell... they should have been enough yeast left in suspension to carb the bottles. I guess the questions that come to mind are what kind of bottles are you using ("normal" glass bottles, or PET?), what temp. did you store them at, and any chance there's a problem w/ your bottle capper?

Old 04-22-2010, 02:17 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 3584 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

The first thing I would do is wait two more weeks. Turn the bottles end over end, and make sure they are AT LEAST 70 degrees. If you can stick a couple ontop of your fridge, you could do that and sample one in two weeks.

If after turning them end over end and storing them warmer doesn't help, I wouldn't pour them back into a bottling bucket. If you're 100% sure you adding the drops to each beer, you could uncap, add a grain of dry yeast, and recap. I had to do that once- and used nottingham dry yeast. Literally one little grain is enough- that is still more yeast cells than the eye can see, so it's plenty. That way, you can re-yeast, but not aerate or otherwise oxygenate your beer.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-22-2010, 02:39 AM   #7
CaptZav
Recipes 

They were not cooper's specifically, I am not at home now so I can't tell you the brand, they were the only ones sold at my LHBS. Capper should not be an issue, it is pretty new still, and has done a good job with my first 5 batches. I didn't see a layer of yeast when I checked the other day either. Also, the bottles are normal 12 oz brown bottles, which I have used for other batches fine. I keep my apartment at around 71-72ish, so I would imagine the temperature would be pretty uniform.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:51 AM   #8
CiscoKid
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptZav View Post
They were not cooper's specifically, I am not at home now so I can't tell you the brand, they were the only ones sold at my LHBS. Capper should not be an issue, it is pretty new still, and has done a good job with my first 5 batches. I didn't see a layer of yeast when I checked the other day either. Also, the bottles are normal 12 oz brown bottles, which I have used for other batches fine. I keep my apartment at around 71-72ish, so I would imagine the temperature would be pretty uniform.
Sounds like a problem with the carbtabs... I'd follow Yooper's advice... (Which is a sound idea anytime she offers wisdom. )

I had a similar problem with my priming sugar with my Honey Wheat last year - mostly because I forgot to add it to the bottling bucket.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:22 AM   #9
rdude6
Recipes 

Default update???

I am in a similar situation now with my scottish ale and was wondering how this turned out.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:20 AM   #10
mrames
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Beer Failed to bottle prime

I now am the proud owner of two beers that did not bottle prime so I compared them for something common. What I found is both had a syrup addition, one Lyles Golden Syrup and one Maple Syrup. Both had high OG, one 1.092 and one 1.089. One ended up with ABV of 6.23% and the other with 9.43%. But here's the real suspicious thing, one was in primary fermentation for 15 days and the other for 16 days which is WAY longer that all my other beers. I suspect I wore out the yeast even though I was still getting some slow bubbling. Now just need to figure out the best way to re-yeast it and I'm sure I need no futher fermentable sugars.

Quick Reply