Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer tasting "dry"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2014, 11:32 PM   #11
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemontato View Post
Around 175 F I believe, maybe a bit higher, didn't have a thermometer on hand.

First I'd STRONGLY suggest that you get a thermometer. If you mashed at 175F you denatured any enzymes that would have created fermentables beyond the honey you added.
You really need to get a good grasp of the processes you need to know for creating consistently good beer.
Do you have access to any basic brewing books? I'd suggest Palmer's book as a god start.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 11:34 PM   #12
agrazela
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Around 175 F I believe, maybe a bit higher, didn't have a thermometer on hand.
Could be your issue. You typically want to go no higher than about 150F for steeping grains.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #13
Lemontato
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrazela View Post
Could be your issue. You typically want to go no higher than about 150F for steeping grains.
Probably. Like I said I just followed the recipe which said an educated guess will do, based on the fact that when it is close to boiling you should remove from stove and add the grains. Thats what I did pretty much.

Wouldn't adding the room-temperature grains reduce the temperature enough to bring it close to 155ish?

Old 07-22-2014, 11:39 PM   #14
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Probably. Like I said I just followed the recipe which said an educated guess will do, based on the fact that when it is closed to boiling you should remove from stove and add the grains. Thats what I did pretty much.

Actually the recipe said to steep
Your grains at 155F & to make sure you didn't boil them.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:43 PM   #15
Lemontato
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by govner1 View Post
Actually the recipe said to steep
Your grains at 155F & to make sure you didn't boil them.

Actually the recipe also said an educated guess will do. I said 175 F. Keep in mind I didn't have a thermometer on hand, so this is a ballpark estimate, it could've been as much 150 as 200 F.

The grains were added before it started boiling but when it was definitely too hot to touch. Which would most probably be higher than 50-60ish celsius but lower than 100 (obviously). This is as much as I know, since like I said I didn't have a thermometer on hand.

Also, if you need to be arrogant about it, please refrain from commenting.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:46 PM   #16
WayFrae
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Actually the recipe also said an educated guess will do. I said 175 F. Keep in mind I didn't have a thermometer on hand, so this is a ballpark estimate, it could've been as much 150 as 200 F.

If you need to be arrogant about it, please refrain from commenting, I'd rather have some constructive help than pure criticism.

The grains were added before it started boiling but when it was definitely too hot to touch. Which would most probably be higher than 50-60ish celsius but lower than 100 (obviously). This is as much as I know, since like I said I didn't have a thermometer on hand.
I bet this is your problem. If you got it almost boiling then took it off the stove I think you were probably close to 200° and extracted tannins. You said you like the flavor so brew it again but with a thermometer next time and see if the mouth drying effect goes away.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:49 PM   #17
Lemontato
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayFrae View Post
I bet this is your problem. If you got it almost boiling then took it off the stove I think you were probably close to 200° and extracted tannins. You said you like the flavor so brew it again but with a thermometer next time and see if the mouth drying effect goes away.
I just ordered a thermometer, so next time I'll definitely make sure to hit the target steeping temperature. At least it didn't ruin my batch!

Quick Reply