The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer Tastes a little sweet and a bit like caramel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
jmacohhnoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer Tastes a little sweet and a bit like caramel

So I brewed my first beer about four weeks ago.. I used a hopped lager malt extract and 2 different kinda of hops.. I thought I was pretty diligent about stirring it to not burn it. I let it ferment for two weeks. When I bottled it I added about a half a cup of corn sugar, and it's been sitting in a dark corner for two weeks.. I tried it the other day and it tastes a bit like Carmel and its sweet , also there's not alot of carbonation.. Did I burn the malt or does it need longer to sit in the bottle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
masterfool101
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Not familiar with any hopped extract brews, but I would say this:

1) After bottling, it is best to leave the brew at room temperature for 3 weeks. I've never had one fail to carb up.

2) Did you take a gravity reading?

3) What kind of beer . . . it could be that the caramel flavor is desired.

Nothing Beats a Fool's Luck . . . and I am the Master Fool.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 865 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 1920

It probably is your particular canned kit. Where in the world are you? If you are in North America, you can get some high quality kits from vendors here like Midwest, Northern Brewer or Austin, that will probably solve your problem.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
jmacohhnoo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterfool101
Not familiar with any hopped extract brews, but I would say this:

1) After bottling, it is best to leave the brew at room temperature for 3 weeks. I've never had one fail to carb up.

2) Did you take a gravity reading?

3) What kind of beer . . . it could be that the caramel flavor is desired.
I did not take a gravity in fortunately, and I'm not exactly to sure what kind of beer it was I just specifically remember it being a lager, and I thought I added enough hops to give a but of a punch.. I let the one with the higher AA boil for about 20 min, and the lower for about 5... The beer doesn't taste horrible but I'm gonna try to make a blackberry flavored beer on sat and if I'm burning it it would probably be better to avoid that.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
jmacohhnoo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_
It probably is your particular canned kit. Where in the world are you? If you are in North America, you can get some high quality kits from vendors here like Midwest, Northern Brewer or Austin, that will probably solve your problem.
Yes I'm in North America... I believe my malt was coopers maybe but I'm not 100 % sure

Old 01-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
jethro55
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Sure sounds like a successful brew....4 weeks is pretty dog-gone young. The sweet caramel flavor is desired for some... probably the intended result since hop boil is just 20 minutes. It will change some over the next few weeks. Even if it stays sweet and caramel, someone will like it.....send it to me.

Civilization begins with Beer !

Primary: nothing in the pipeline at the moment
Secondary: some summer beers are imperative
Bottled: Nut Brown, Listermann's Cream Ale, American Pale Ale, Holiday Ale, HopNog, Honey Malt Cream Ale, Irish Stout, English Brown Ale, BIAB English Ale, India Black Ale, Bengal Juice, BIAB Cherry Wheat on the cherries, Belgian Pale Ale, Island Hefe on Mango, Island Hefe on Apricot (and dang -these are awesome beers)

Next Up: Hop farming

Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
planetscott
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Might be under attenuated. If you did not take a gravity reading, we don't know for certain. What yeast did you use?

As someone stated, there are some really good kits available from the online stores. Try one of those......It will change your life.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

If it was LME,& you added the pre-hopped extract to the boil,that's your problem. It got what is called mailard reactions,or simply caramelized. The so called extract twang. If you want to add hops to a pre hopped LME can,you'll have to use some un-hopped extract in the boil. Like plain DME. Pre-hopped extract should never be boiled,as it destroys the designed in hop profile.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 865 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 1920

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacohhnoo View Post
Yes I'm in North America... I believe my malt was coopers maybe but I'm not 100 % sure
Honestly, Coopers is not good (ducks to avoid those who disagree). The underattenuation and caramelly flavor is probably due to the kit. Try a top flight kit and see if you get better results.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

It's not the fact that it's mearly Cooper's it's the fact that it likely was used incorrectly. Or others with high ferment temps & less than healthy yeast pitch. I worked that stuff out & can make a pretty good ale with Cooper's cans.
Gunna take their Heritage lager can & make a German-esc black lager out of it with a lil rauchmalt.

Quick Reply