Beer tastes kinda like yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshtorres28

Reaction score
I bottled my beer last saturday and tried one today, it still doesn't seem carbonated enough and tastes like yeast.

Will that go away or did I mess up?

One week in the bottle is still really too young to tell what the final beer will be like. What did you make, how long before you bottled it etc. would be helpful also.

I'm sure it will turn out fine.

Cheers

FastAndy said:
One week in the bottle is still really too young to tell what the final beer will be like. What did you make, how long before you bottled it etc. would be helpful also.

I'm sure it will turn out fine.

Cheers

I made a american blonde ale, it fermented in my bucket for 13 days. I bottled it on the 7th, my instructions on my kit said to try it weekly to check carbonation and see the difference in taste as it ages.

Sometimes a "yeasty taste" fades quite a bit, as the yeast does its work carbonating your beer and then goes dormant. Chilling it at least 24 hours before trying it may help with this. If it doesn't go away, it could be because of the yeast strain you used, or if underpitching that yeast.

Which yeast strain did you use, and at what temperature did the beer ferment? That will tell us alot!

Yooper said:
Sometimes a "yeasty taste" fades quite a bit, as the yeast does its work carbonating your beer and then goes dormant. Chilling it at least 24 hours before trying it may help with this. If it doesn't go away, it could be because of the yeast strain you used, or if underpitching that yeast.

Which yeast strain did you use, and at what temperature did the beer ferment? That will tell us alot!

It was a dry yeast that came in my kit. It fermented at 67° under my stairs in the basement

It probably tasted yeasty due to yeast still in suspension eating up the bottling sugar and carbonating the beer....

It probably tasted yeasty due to yeast still in suspension eating up the bottling sugar and carbonating the beer....

+1 This is almost always the case when I lose all self-control and can't wait to try a newly bottled beer. Wait at least a month to make your final judgement and I'm sure it'll be great!:mug:

Some of my yeast can stay suspended for weeks before finally settling, and that usually attributes to the yeastiness.

Ryush806 said:
+1 This is almost always the case when I lose all self-control and can't wait to try a newly bottled beer. Wait at least a month to make your final judgement and I'm sure it'll be great!:mug:

Yeah I had read to try it weekly to check carbonation and so I could see the difference in tasted. I bottled on the 7th and was planning on waiting till superbowl weekend to open one.

Back