Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > The beer tastes "Green"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
slantedbolt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default The beer tastes "Green"?

Are there any specific tastes to a beer to know if it is Green?

I ask because people use the term, which I know what it means, but wondered if there were specific flavors that tip you off that it is not fully matured.

Primary 1 Carboy: air
Primary 2 Bucket: English Mild
Primary 3 Bucket: air

Bottled: Trappist Style Quadruple ale, Black Pearl Porter

Hall of Fame: Blonde ale, Stormcastle ale, Special Holiday ale, Ed Wort's Apfelwein, Bavarian Hefe.

Coming soon - ???

“Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer.” - Al Bundy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 45

easiest way to describe it is not to lol....open a bottle of your beer that you know is not ready yet and taste it. then open one that you know IS ready and taste it...now you know what green beer tastes like.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Green beer is really any flavor experience that you have that you are not happy with that may be present in the first few weeks of the beer's life that is gone when the beer is fully matured, a few weeks later.

The chili/spaghetti analogy is a good one.

It really can be any number of flavors, many of them are the same ones that are on those "off flavor charts." The only real difference is that they will go away with time.

That's why I say don't sweat any flavor or aroma that you experience from yeast pitch day til its been about 8 weeks in the bottle. Then if the beer still has that, you can look at the causes of it from those charts. But still radically sometimes walking away from a beer for 6 months to a year before deciding to dump it, the beer can end up being OK....

Describe Green Beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
slantedbolt
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Revvy, your my hero...

Primary 1 Carboy: air
Primary 2 Bucket: English Mild
Primary 3 Bucket: air

Bottled: Trappist Style Quadruple ale, Black Pearl Porter

Hall of Fame: Blonde ale, Stormcastle ale, Special Holiday ale, Ed Wort's Apfelwein, Bavarian Hefe.

Coming soon - ???

“Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer.” - Al Bundy

Quick Reply