The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > beer tastes better but is flat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
hooligansteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default beer tastes better but is flat

I bottled a batch of American-style pale ale about 2 months ago. The beer was awfully bitter and I hoped it would improve with time (indeed, much advice on this forum suggests that is true). I bottled in swing top glass bottles. I cracked another open today and the bitterness had indeed receded and the beer was approaching respectability. However, it was totally flat. The first couple I had tried were nicely carbonated. Has anyone had problems with swing top bottles?
Any suggestions on what I could do to this batch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Did you use all swing top? What was your bottling procedure? Did you replace the gaskets (or whatever they call those little rubber things) at all?

Old 11-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #3
hooligansteve
Recipes 

I bottled this way: Cleaned and sanitized the bottles, boiled the bottling sugar with the specified amount of water. Added to the bottling bucket, then racked the beer into that. Used a bottling wand to fill the bottles, capped each one after it was full. The gaskets are all new.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
Kungpaodog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've had mixed results with swing tops from the LHBS. My Grolsch bottles haven't failed yet.

Are your bottles Grolsch or other? The brand new and replacement gaskets I got looked to be pretty poorly made, so I made my own with a thicker gasket material. I also bent the wires on the swing tops to make

You might have luck replacing the gasket and adding a few carb tabs, and maybe a few grains of dry yeast if your bottles have been sitting for a long time. The easiest would be to just open a flat bottle and a carbed bottle, then mix the two to get two glasses of carbed beer.

Kelpie Home Brewery, Lafayette Colorado
Primary: Creek Dog Stout x2, Two Dogs IPA, Grinning Kelpie Wheat
Secondary: empty :(
In Bottles: Belgian Wheat

Old 11-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kungpaodog View Post
I've had mixed results with swing tops from the LHBS. My Grolsch bottles haven't failed yet.

Are your bottles Grolsch or other? The brand new and replacement gaskets I got looked to be pretty poorly made, so I made my own with a thicker gasket material. I also bent the wires on the swing tops to make

You might have luck replacing the gasket and adding a few carb tabs, and maybe a few grains of dry yeast if your bottles have been sitting for a long time. The easiest would be to just open a flat bottle and a carbed bottle, then mix the two to get two glasses of carbed beer.
"dog's got a good idea, but the issue is going to be deciding whether it is going to need yeast, or prime tabs...you may have to do a test bottle of two of each...

I agree it's probably the seals. You may also want to test the seals whether or not you replace them by putting balloons over them...if you get expansion then you've got leaks.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2008, 11:04 PM   #6
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 5983 Times on 5251 Posts
Likes Given: 672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I agree it's probably the seals. You may also want to test the seals whether or not you replace them by putting balloons over them...if you get expansion then you've got leaks.
That's a darn good idea! I was wondering how in the heck to test for leaks!

Old 11-30-2008, 11:09 PM   #7
eddie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

won't the bail keep the balloon from getting a good seal?

Old 11-30-2008, 11:17 PM   #8
Kungpaodog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd think that after two months in bottles, there should still be some viable yeast to eat any more sugar that you add, so the new grains of dry yeast would be a last resort.

Kelpie Home Brewery, Lafayette Colorado
Primary: Creek Dog Stout x2, Two Dogs IPA, Grinning Kelpie Wheat
Secondary: empty :(
In Bottles: Belgian Wheat

Old 11-30-2008, 11:24 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
won't the bail keep the balloon from getting a good seal?
If you can get it around the bail, it won't really have to be a great seal...just enough to see if there is any balloon expansion...try to pull the balloon down the neck of the bottle and try to get the bail into the ballon itself...

You could also cut off the neck of the balloon, put the round part over everything and rubberband it below the bail....then shake up the bottle a bit and leave it...OR on the empty ones you drank thea were flat, add a little vinegar and baking soda in those...you'll see if they'll leak or not.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2008, 11:30 PM   #10
fat x nub

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I sometimes get mixed results with my swing top bottles because i dont position them flat on the lip of the glass on 2 or 3 of the bottles. But it is probably the seals that came with the bottles if it is a problem with multiple bottles. Do the ballon test that everybody is talking about

Primary 1-This Bud's for you
Primary 2- Cream Ale
Secondary 1- Strong Scotch Ale
Secondary 2- empty
Bottled/Kegged- Centinneal Blonde, Apfelwein
Up Next- MyCastle (N.English Brown Ale), Hooch Pale Ale
Thinking About: Tripple Bock, Chocolate Stout, open to suggestions

"Every beer is a good beer if I can taste the brewer's intent"
-Jim Koch

Is this guy serious??:

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabeach1 View Post
so barley is a leaves of hops? or barley is a different plant? and blend with hops? I need that to be cleared thanks..

Quick Reply