Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer taste goes away too quickly

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliviousbrew View Post
"beer taste goes away to quickly" same thing happend to me... I drink slower now
^^^ this

'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
billl
Recipes 

Liked 270 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 7

For future batches, it definitely helps to consult the style guidelines for the major attributes. If you are looking for a classic style taste, you want to be squarely in those ranges. eg an american pale ale should be in the 1.045-1.060 range and 30-45+ IBU. Compared to other pale ales, sierra nevada is pretty full and hoppy, so if you are trying for something like that, you shoot for the upper half of those ranges.

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/

You don't always have to brew "to style", but it is a great starting point. eg you like a certain beer but wish it was a little more (whatever.) Or, you want to brew something that is between 2 styles. It really helps you get a feeling for what someone elses recipe might taste like and definitely helps if you are making your own recipes.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveBeer2 View Post
Using distilled water without minerals may be part of the problem. Taste distilled water compared to spring water and you will know what I mean.
Distilled water is fine for brewing, especially for extract brewing. The extract has already been mashed and doesn't need anything added to it.

I use RO or distilled water for brewing all the time.

I'm not sure what the OP means by the "beer taste" going away too quickly. A good beer doesn't really linger on the palate, so I'm not sure what is going on. Is it not firmly bitter on the swallow or something like that?

Old 12-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #14
CHSBrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post

I'm not sure what the OP means by the "beer taste" going away too quickly. A good beer doesn't really linger on the palate, so I'm not sure what is going on. Is it not firmly bitter on the swallow or something like that?
That's pretty much what I mean, I know it's not going to coat your mouth like a full-bodied wine or syrup, but there is almost no residual bitterness or other taste at all really after I swallow. I was expecting some sort of "you just had a sip of beer" taste but I don't get much.

I think I may have added too much top off water and thus didn't get the OG high enough and thus it dried out as some of the other posters have suggested. I'll be more careful about that part in the future, thanks everyone!

Quick Reply